The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

the vampire novel of the century << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writers each month  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors' Hall of Fame Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, WHSmith and others! View Hall of Fame

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - Genre Faves - YWO Members Recommend Help Search Recent Posts
the vampire novel of the century
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last : 26 >   Jump to Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Book News
 11 Feb 2012, 13:15 #142647 Reply To Post
the vampire novel of the century

The Horror Writers Association has shortlisted six contenders – do they hit the right vein?

In these post-Twilight days, vampires are so ubiquitous that it's hard to believe they were once confined to a dark corner of the horror genre. But this mainstream acceptance – all sparkly rock star vampires and comedy bloodsuckers – has leeched away the terror of the shadow rising at the foot of the bed. Vampires just aren't scary any more. It's like Dracula never happened.

One hundred years after the death of Bram Stoker, the Horror Writers Assocation is reminding us what vampire fiction is really about with the launch of an award for the Bram Stoker Vampire Novel of the Century. After considering 35 novels published or translated into English over the last 100 years, a jury of writers and academics have come up with a shortlist of six for the prize.

So here are the six titles they consider to have "had the greatest impact on the horror genre since the publication of Dracula":

Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Many of us might have come to this through the genuinely spooky TV miniseries starring, um, Hutch off Starsky and Hutch. I'll not forget that dead kid scratching at the window in a hurry. Published in 1975, it was only King's second novel and showcased his now familiar themes of a man returning to his hometown to find a plague of evil. Source - Guardian - Click here to view the rest
PERRY
 11 Feb 2012, 13:59 #142664 Reply To Post
Apart from Salem's Lot and Anno Dracula, this list is shit and the judges should be thrown to thw werewovles at the next full moon. Buffy The Vampire Killer has more provenance than the rest of this rubbish, not to mention Angel.
CaroleH
 11 Feb 2012, 14:14 #142665 Reply To Post
I am Legend (actually the first zombie novel) and Interview with the Vampire are OK. Either that, or damn you flu virus, you have destroyed my taste buds.
PERRY
 11 Feb 2012, 16:27 #142687 Reply To Post
Yes Carole, it's blurring your vision - a zombie is not a vampire and Shelley's Frankenstein/Poe's gothic tales an poems like The Raven have more provenance than the 1954 I am Legend (Zerbe made the 71 film, by the way).
As to interview with ... perhaps I'm judging it on the film.
rosefitzrobert
 11 Feb 2012, 18:01 #142698 Reply To Post
Quote: PERRY, Saturday, 11 Feb 2012 16:27
Yes Carole, it's blurring your vision - a zombie is not a vampire and Shelley's Frankenstein/Poe's gothic tales an poems like The Raven have more provenance than the 1954 I am Legend (Zerbe made the 71 film, by the way).
As to interview with ... perhaps I'm judging it on the film.

Perry, don't judge "Interview With..." on the film. Read it. I think it's one of the best books ever (full stop)
sulcus
 11 Feb 2012, 19:05 #142700 Reply To Post
Quote: rosefitzrobert, Saturday, 11 Feb 2012 18:01

Perry, don't judge "Interview With..." on the film. Read it. I think it's one of the best books ever (full stop)

er no
"A,B&E", "Not In My Name" and "52FF" (flash fiction anthology) all available on Amazon Kindle

"How a psychopath makes sweet love. I can get you ringside. Royal box even."
rosefitzrobert
 11 Feb 2012, 19:17 #142702 Reply To Post
Quote: sulcus, Saturday, 11 Feb 2012 19:05

er no

Not surprised you'd say that, and you're not the first. But I loved it. What can I say?
sulcus
 11 Feb 2012, 20:40 #142703 Reply To Post
Quote: rosefitzrobert, Saturday, 11 Feb 2012 19:17
Quote: sulcus, Saturday, 11 Feb 2012 19:05

er no

Not surprised you'd say that, and you're not the first. But I loved it. What can I say?

I read quite a bit of Anne Rice back in the day. I could see totally how it moved the vampire thing on, updated it etc. But ultimately it just didn't do anything for me. It's not her fault that what she started has been driven into a brick wall by the likes of Twilight & other other teenage angst vampire series. Actually, yes it is.
"A,B&E", "Not In My Name" and "52FF" (flash fiction anthology) all available on Amazon Kindle

"How a psychopath makes sweet love. I can get you ringside. Royal box even."
PERRY
 12 Feb 2012, 05:22 #142708 Reply To Post
I'll give it a go, Rose, but I find vampire stories much of a muchness if the plot is not broadened by humour and background. I find the fancy-pants vampires a pain and candle-less when compared to Nosferatu.
Tailor-made for film.
This post was last edited by PERRY, 12 Feb 2012, 05:23
fxs60
 12 Feb 2012, 14:00 #142735 Reply To Post
I loved 'Interview...' when I read it (gulp!) years ago. I was bitterly disappointed in the film. Cruise and Pitt and Banderas...Ugh! Dunst was great!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last : 26 >   Jump to Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 30 July 2014, 03:58