The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

is this site dead? << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - The Not About Books Tavern Help Search Recent Posts
is this site dead?
Page 1 2 3 4 Last : 5 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
TerryReader
 05 Jan 2017, 06:53 #201980 Reply To Post
Why is this site dying? Does anyone know. It looks like its all over.

carters
 05 Jan 2017, 08:00 #201982 Reply To Post
I think the reviewing system is still working. It’s a little slow for long standing members, but it still chugs along so the central mechanism is functional.
I think the forums are struggling to breathe because a lot of members have trouble accessing them, and the fact that any post is likely to be buried under a pile of spam will not encourage people to post contributions.
Sorting the spam would be a great help. I just hope Ted or someone can get to grips with it.
TerryReader
 05 Jan 2017, 15:23 #201984 Reply To Post
Who is this mysterious Ted? I find it puzzling that this site is so badly maintained!!
carters
 05 Jan 2017, 18:33 #201990 Reply To Post
Quote: DrGuessWho, Thursday, 5 Jan 2017 15:56
Is this site dead? Yes, it just doesn't know it yet.

Why? The business model was faulted: it is free, so dependent on grants that no longer exists.

Who is Ted? I never figured that out, but the question is now academic.

Who is to blame?

In our current culture there is always someone else to blame, n'est pas?

Well, therein lies the problem.

There really is no one else to blame. We, the members, are to blame.

We have stupid fights that alienate sensitive souls; we are too thick to figure out how to get round the issues with the forum login; all the alleged wannabe writers have nothing of consequence to say to each other; and there are no decent samples on the site to bother criting.

With about 30 to 40 grand you could sort the site out and bring it into the 21st century. But one thing still wouldn't change:

There simply aren't any members whose writing is good enough to be published.

As one member once said in a curious (and out-of-character) moment of self awareness:

Quote: Lady P

I started a blog, but I gave up. I found I didn't have anything to say.

Then we must be the living dead. Or perhaps the twitching dead.
I flicked through some of the thrillers in Waterstones the other day, and I found the chapters littered with faults for which they would be lambasted on this site. That means that either poor quality writing does get published, or the members on this site do not know what publishable writing looks like. Or possibly that connections play a big part.
Anyway, I enjoy trying so I will keep twitching for a while longer.

dancingsue
 05 Jan 2017, 19:29 #201991 Reply To Post
I think it is all over. The last time there were any pro crits was May and those, after all, are the prize. I think Ted must just be hoping it will die rather than have to be euthanised.
the long and the short of it

TerryReader
 09 Jan 2017, 16:51 #202086 Reply To Post
As far as I can tell there are no other sites like this one, and if there are I haven't found any! Does anyone know any? Also, as far as I can tell, the system on this site seems to be working fine. It just needs maintaining. I'm sure the mysterious Ted might have something to say on the matter, if indeed Ted is real.
kayrleitch
 10 Jan 2017, 11:25 #202091 Reply To Post
Sadly, no one is in charge. Ted used to be – kind of – when he was around, but he often had problems of his own to deal with from what I read. He would never consider designating control of anything to any other forum member, and there were many professionals willing to help. Even a daily culling of the awful span would help, and that could easily be done.

This was a great site and is still a great idea. There are a lot of arrogant tossers on it, sure, but there are also some good writers (in spite of those who love to say there aren't). It's a shame we're witnessing the death throes of a site that has helped countless members with their writing – me included.

Carters – I'm not surprised you've spotted howlers in published material. So many traditional publishers now don't spend the money on decent editors/subs/proofreaders. They believe the "idea" will sell the book. Often, they're right...
carters
 11 Jan 2017, 11:59 #202099 Reply To Post
I agree, there are some good writers on this site. I also think reviewing and being reviewed here have helped me improve as a writer.
It is great to get a pro crit, and I am always interested to see what the pros say about submissions I have reviewed. However, I can’t remember anyone saying that a pro crit opened any doors or led to anything. It may have happened, but it is no panacea.
krademacher
 11 Jan 2017, 14:51 #202100 Reply To Post
I used to be active here two or three years back, but gave up when I realized the process by which one hoped to win a professional review really brought out the wosrt in authors (myself included).

I'd receive peer reviews that clearly were from somebody just trawling for credits to post their own stuff. Some of these even gave me high marks, but the written portion would barely reach the word count threshold, and told me nothing helpful.

Flip side of that, there were the reviews where someone simply wanted to knock down the competition, just to increase their own chances at a much vaunted pro review. I found myself paying more attention to my agregate review rating, looking forward to knocking off one more bad review, than I was in leveraging the 40-50% with truly honest feedback.

toward the end for me, about 20% of the reviews I got had any depth to them, while I'd been diligent about the reviews I gave. The return on investment for my time simply wasn't there anymore, so I walked away.

Now, I'm at Silver Pen Writers. There is no cutthroat contest to tempt people to give filler or negative reviews. Honesty is valued. The site is watched very closely by the management team, which is a non-profit charity based in the US. I know, because I'm the one who secured the 501(c)3 status, and do the annual paperwork.

If you want help in honing your work, that's where I'd suggest going. Membership is free.
Karl Rademacher, Certified Fraud Examiner, EnCE
Board Chair, Silver Pen Writers Association
Managing Editor, Silver Blade Magazine
President, Midwest Chapter, High Tech Crimes Investigation Association

kayrleitch
 11 Jan 2017, 21:30 #202101 Reply To Post
Thanks for the info, Krademacher. That looks worth a visit.
Page 1 2 3 4 Last : 5 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 11 December 2017, 14:59