The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

YouWriteOn.com Book of the Year Award Winners 2011. << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > YouWriteOn Book of the Year Awards Help Search Recent Posts
YouWriteOn.com Book of the Year Award Winners 2011.
Page 1 2 3 4 Last : 5 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Book News
 05 Aug 2011, 10:26 #125947 Reply To Post
YouWriteOn.com Book of the Year Award Winners 2011.

Many congratulations to the YouWriteOn Book of The Year Award Winners 2011! The Book Awards started in 2007 as part of our Arts Council funding. Winners & Finalists who have developed their novels on youwriteon have achieved book deals with world leading publishers as a result - including Penguin, Random House, Orion, Harper Collins, Hodder & Stoughton and Little Brown.

We believe that as the winners and bestseller chart finalists for 2011 develop and complete their stories that they will have great opportunities and do very well too. YouWriteOn sends many congratulations to all the winners and finalists, and wishes all participants every success.

The Book of the Year Award 2011 Winners & Finalists

All of the following Winners & Finalists were considered from all of the highest rated stories that entered the youwriteon.com bestseller chart in 2010 as rated by fellow site members. Click here to go to the page to view their story excerpts, or you can view via the link on the youwriteon.com homepage.

Adult Fiction Winners

1. The Grower by Robbie Smith
2. Separation by Emma Dugan
3. Cut and Run by Karen Snape-Williams
4. The Baptist by Ruby Barnes
5. Lickety Split by D. Moody

Childrens' Fiction Winners

1. Scarlett and the Soul Thief by Annie Oliver
2. Catbook by Richard Hurndall
3. Ready Steady Dig by Rosalind Winter
4. Psico by David Wardale
5. Meggie Blackthorn by Elizabeth Jasper

Click here to view all of the 2011 YouWriteOn Book Award Finalists - our charts can be searched by month for each finalist in 2010 with links to read excerpts from their stories which were all very highly rated by members.

Examples of Previous YouWriteOn.com Book of the Year Award Winners' success stories.

The Legacy, YouWriteOn Book of the Year 2009. Discovered on youwriteon by Orion after being highly rated by members. Orion published the novel by Katherine Webb and it became an Amazon top 3 bestseller in 2010. Voted the winner of the Channel 4 TV Book Club's 2010 Summer Reads.

Katherine Webb, “It's taken ten years and seven completed novels, but, thanks to YouWriteOn, I have just signed a two book deal with Orion! The Legacy received tremendous support from all those who read and reviewed it on YouWriteOn .. A huge thank you to everyone who commented.”

Caligula by Douglas Jackson, achieved a six-figure book deal with Random House after developing on youwriteon.com

Doug Jackson: "Youwriteon.com, for example, I just stumbled on when I hadn't a clue about where to go next with the book. They gave me the breakthrough and taught me how to take criticism. It's as if a switch has been flipped. I know that I'll write from now on .. Then that took me to the next step, and if anyone knows anything about historical fiction, it's Sarah O'Keefe at Orion. I remember when she told me I needed to rework the book that I wasn't sure if I could do it, but I knew that if I could it would take me to a completely different level as a writer."

YouWriteOn Book of the Year Award winner Bufflehead Sisters by Patricia J. DeLois. Published by youwriteon.com in 2007, the novel went on to become a bestseller in the author's home state of Maine and was named the best novel of the year by a leading newspaper there, ahead of a former Pulitzer prize winner. The novel was then taken on and published by Penguin as a result.

YouWriteOn Book of the Year Winner 2010 The Apothecary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts. Discovered on youwriteon.com by the literary agent for bestselling series The Princess Diaries after she browsed the youwriteon.com bestseller charts, the novel is published in 2011 by Little Brown, publisher of books such as The Twilight series.

Charlotte Betts: "The Apothecary's Daughter will be published summer 2011. This is the realisation of a dream for me and I will always be grateful to YouWriteOn and its members, not only for the valuable feedback but for the opportunity to allow my work to be displayed and then discovered. Thank you to everyone who helped me to improve my writing."

YouWriteOn Book Award Winner The Afrika Reich by Guy Saville, our first book award winner, achieved publishing success in 2011 with Hodder, publishers of authors such as Stephen King. Guy's novel has been described as 'Fatherland for an action movie age' (Daily Telegraph) and 'A thoroughly enjoyable and compelling read' (Sun ).

YouWriteOn Children's Book of The Year Winner The Third Pig Detective Agency by Bob Burke. After developing his story on youwriteon.com, Bob was published by by leading publisher Harper Collins, and received the Ellis Dillion Award at the Bisto Book Awards, which has previously recognised authors such as Artemis Fowl author Eoin Colfer.

The Judging This year's Book of the Year Awards 2011 saw many exceptional novel openings and short stories. Each of the winners and finalists carried their readers along with the unique worlds they created to be rated the highest rated stories on YouWriteOn for 2010. It was a very hard choice to decide between the stories, and the site's personal judging choice, but what each story has in common, whether a winner or finalist, is that they were each entries to the YouWriteOn BestSellers Chart, voted there by their peers.

Equally, we believe there were many highly rated stories that did not make the BestSeller Chart but which we believe will find success too. We thank every member for their contributions. What makes the site is the contributions and constructive feedback from members to help develop their writing and other members work which gives some great stories to be enjoyed both by site readers, and also to enter the wider world of literature for all readers to enjoy.

An extremely big thank you to all our new writer members who uploaded their chapters for feedback during the qualifying year of 2010 and exchanged constructive reviews. Thank you to all our literary professionals as well, who provided free professional critiques each month for YouWriteOn's highest rated members, including editors from leading publishers Random House and Orion.
winton
 05 Aug 2011, 12:03 #125954 Reply To Post
My heartiest congratulations to all the 2011 winners! Way to go guys! Well done!
Destinyschild
 05 Aug 2011, 13:47 #125960 Reply To Post
Congrats to everyone. May you all go onto further success.

As a matter of interest, how or by whom is this award judged? It doesn't seem to fit in with position in the Best Sellers Chart so is it judged by one or more of the editors who do the monthly critiques?

DC
rinkytink
 05 Aug 2011, 15:12 #125967 Reply To Post
Well done to all of you-I hope success breeds further success and you go on to greater things.
"Tread softly - some people have bunions"
rt1905
 06 Aug 2011, 00:04 #126026 Reply To Post
I'd like to congratulate Robbie on that adult number one. From the first reading I knew it had commercial inertia.
Also, I heard through the grapevine that Ruby is chuffed at number 4 and Liz also with children's number 5.
Robbie, if you read this then please drop me a line (email on bio).
Cheers,
Trant.
willow55
 06 Aug 2011, 02:26 #126030 Reply To Post
A big pat on the back to all the winners. The opening chapters of Cut and Run was the very first piece I ever read on YWO and I absolutely loved it. Well done, one and all!
clairewhatley
 06 Aug 2011, 06:57 #126036 Reply To Post
Congratulations to all this year's worthy winners. May it lead to great contracts!

nil desperandum
dancingsue
 06 Aug 2011, 11:45 #126050 Reply To Post
Congratulations everyone!
the long and the short of it

clicklovely
 06 Aug 2011, 12:06 #126054 Reply To Post
Blooming Henry, how did that happen? I go out for a few drinks and when I get in I have an email informing me that I`ve won Best Adult Fiction! When I awoke next morning I thought it was probably all a beer infused dream . . . but it wasn`t! Yippee! A huge thankyou to all who read, critiqued or voted for The Grower . The book is available on Amazon, both in paperback and Kindle - thanks to Edward Smith`s superb Youwriteon publishing package. I would love to hear from any agent or publisher who might fancy a read of the full novel.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grower-Robbie-Smith/dp/1907986529
demolinero
 06 Aug 2011, 13:14 #126060 Reply To Post
Yes - I am pleased Meggie Blackthorn has done so well. Of all the characters I've written over the last 5 - 6 years, Meggie is my personal favourite. I'll be doing another edit over the next couple of weeks to tidy up the ms then she's ready to fly. Thanks to everyone who read the story and voted it into the Bestseller Charts in the first place, and to the very kind judges who placed it in the Top Five for Childrens Fiction.

http://www.elizabethjasper.com

Find my books on Amazon Kindle here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lying-in-Wait-ebook/dp/B0055T772K/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meggie-Blackthorn-ebook/dp/B005UBZOPA/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Bed-of-Knives-ebook/dp/B007PT0ILA/
The Other No 10 by Jo Jacobs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IVPN24C

Page 1 2 3 4 Last : 5 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 15:58