The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

YouWriteOn Author’s TV Book Club Triumph << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
YouWriteOn Author’s TV Book Club Triumph
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Book News
 18 Jun 2010, 13:33 #91556 Reply To Post
YouWriteOn 2009 Book of the Year Award Winner The Legacy achieves one of eight places on Channel Four TV Book Club Summer Reads - the show which has helped previously featured authors become bestsellers

A book developed on Arts Council established YouWriteOn.com has been selected as one of the 8 novels for this summer’s TV Book Club Summer Reads, the seasonal spin off of the hugely popular TV Book Club established by Richard and Judy which has helped catapult authors into the publishing stratosphere. Unusually, The Legacy, by first time author Katherine Webb, came to leading publisher Orion’s notice not through a literary agent – the author didn’t have one at the time - but through the peer-review website in which budding writers rate fellow writers opening chapters, garnering huge support from other aspiring writers and as a result of the support achieving an editor critique and book deal from leading publisher Orion who participate on YouWriteOn.

The editor, Sara O’Keefe thought the book was 'hauntingly beautiful' and took the author on, and Orion put The Legacy forward to feature on the TV show, which has seen previously featured novels such as Cecilia Aherne's literary hit, PS, I Love You become a film in 2007 starring Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler, and Rebecca Miller's The Private Lives of Pippa Lee released as a motion picture in America last year.

The Legacy is released on the 24th June and will feature on the TV Book Club on the 12th July on Channel Four. To view the book and cover click on the following Amazon link, The Legacy can be preordered for £5.99. Click here to view on Amazon

Waterstone’s fiction buyer Janine Cook described the Summer Reads selection as “a good list of literary and mass market titles”. The Legacy is in good company on the Richard & Judy established show, the other eight authors selected include former music teacher Clare Morrall, who was shortlisted for a Booker Prize with her debut novel Astonishing Squashes of Colour.

The Legacy’s success follows in the footsteps of others writers who have developed on YouWriteOn.com, established in 2006. Previous YouWriteOn.com members have achieved book deals with Penguin, Harper Collins, Hodder and Random House after developing their novels on the site.

YouWriteOn’s 2007 winner Caligula by Douglas Jackson achieved a six figure book deal with Random House who now participate on the site reviewing the highest rated novels each month, and The Third Pig Detective Agency by Bob Burke won an award in the Bisto Book Awards this year, whose previous winners have included Artemis Fowl author Eoin Colfer. YouWriteOn Book Award Winner The Afrika Reich by Guy Saville is published next year by Stephen King publisher Hodder & Stoughton. Book Award Winner Bufflehead Sisters by Patricia J DeLois, initially published by YouWriteOn, has now been published by Penguin. YouWriteOn's own new enhanced Arts Council funded publishing system, with free paperback publishing, will be introduced soon.
YouWriteOn
 23 Jun 2010, 12:59 #91942 Reply To Post
Well done to Katherine, pre-launch The Legacy reached position 59 in Amazon charts for contemporary fiction yesterday, just behind authors like John Grisham and Khaled Hosseini after being in the top 100 for that classification past few few days.
Bagpuss123
 23 Jun 2010, 14:12 #91952 Reply To Post
This is fantastic & I'll certainly be buying a copy. I remember reading the opening chapters when it was on YWO, tho it had another title then, didn't it?
Cinnamon
 23 Jun 2010, 14:40 #91954 Reply To Post
That's really good news. Very exciting!
YouWriteOn
 23 Jun 2010, 17:45 #91961 Reply To Post
Quote: Bagpuss123, Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 14:12
This is fantastic & I'll certainly be buying a copy. I remember reading the opening chapters when it was on YWO, tho it had another title then, didn't it?

It was called Quietly Shining originally. Katherine emailed the following about the publishing experience:

It's eighteen months since I signed a two book deal with Orion, and The Legacy is now poised for release. I can't wait to actually see it on shop shelves! It's been a long time coming and not a moment too soon as far as I'm concerned. After a long pause in which I've been beavering away at the next book, things have really started to accelerate in the past couple of months, with reviews lined up in the summer editions of magazines, and then the news that The Legacy would be featured on the TV Book Club's summer series. I can't quite believe my luck! For someone with a horror of public speaking, the filming actually turned into a really fun day, it being both surreal and satisfying to spend a whole day discussing my book with a television film crew! I can't wait for the show to air, and to hear the panellists discussing it...fingers crossed that they like it.

The deadline for my next book is looming large, and even though I haven't managed to quit the day job yet, I do feel like I'm finally living the life of a professional author. It's a dream come true for me, and the culmination of ten years of grafting, and waiting in the wings for the big break. I'd have been happy just to see my book on shelves, but to have it launching with such a boost behind it is beyond all my expectations. I really couldn't have asked for more. To all those youwriteon.com members out there still working hard and fighting to get their books read and noticed - keep at it. Get as much feed back as you can, never stop submitting your work, take criticism on board and keep on writing. Sooner or later, your book will land on the desk of the right editor at the right time!

Bagpuss123
 23 Jun 2010, 18:18 #91964 Reply To Post
Ah yes - it's been bugging me. Have already set sky+ to series link to make sure I don't miss. So pleased for Katherine. As if her success was ever in doubt!
YouWriteOn
 24 Jun 2010, 13:20 #92007 Reply To Post
Just seen the eight Summer Reads are in bookstores today, our local Waterstones and Smiths are really promoting them with 'front and centre' displays.

There's a really nice acknowledgement at the back of The Legacy thanking youwriteon members for reads, reviews, and helping her book get noticed.

Katherine's at number 39 in the Amazon Contemporary Fiction bestseller chart at moment, took 10 years to get this far so it must be a pleasant day.
This post was last edited by YouWriteOn, 24 Jun 2010, 13:21
paula8888
 24 Jun 2010, 16:45 #92025 Reply To Post
Just spotted The Legacy on lovereading.co.uk as well.

Fantastic!
pam123writing
 27 Jun 2010, 12:39 #92207 Reply To Post
Current Radio Times - article on TV Book Club - Page 33. Pic of woman sitting on deck-chair with a copy of The Legacy in her hands. Also on page 34, it's top of the list in Amanda Ross's choice. Nice one, Katherine , all the best. .
This post was last edited by pam123writing, 27 Jun 2010, 12:41
Three Steps to Heaven
'Til I Kissed You
Always On My Mind
A rock'n'roll romance series by Pam Howes all available on Amazon in paperback and e-Books.
Visit my website for details.
Fast Movin' Train - A stand alone love story.
Amazon links on:
website

"And, in the end, the love you take / Is equal to the love you make." Lennon and McCartney 1969
Book News
 30 Jun 2010, 19:54 #92502 Reply To Post
Nice to see a youwriteon member beating the vampires of The Twilight Saga! The Legacy's doing well this hour, at number 39 on Amazon, just ahead of paperback version of Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer, which is out in August.

It is daylight though, so probably safe from Robert's fans for time being.
This post was last edited by Book News, 30 Jun 2010, 20:10
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 15:52