The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

York Writing Festival << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Writers' Circle Help Search Recent Posts
York Writing Festival
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last : 16 >   Jump to Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Falco
 13 Sep 2013, 17:03 #172439 Reply To Post
Arrived late at York, wandered into a seminar on "Self-Editing Your Novel"...asked the first person on my left what I'd missed.
"I dunno, I came late too..." - said Patricia Fenn, who didn't recognise me till she saw my name-badge. First person I speak to is the only person here that I "know" already. What the hell are the odds of that?!
"My name is Hammersmith, and I will be your guide on this trip to Earth. Oh and this is Bailey; he's just a fundamental pain in the arse..."

Check me out on www.fylerwrites.co.uk
Falco
 13 Sep 2013, 18:28 #172445 Reply To Post
Oh and Patricia says hi everyone, by the way!
"My name is Hammersmith, and I will be your guide on this trip to Earth. Oh and this is Bailey; he's just a fundamental pain in the arse..."

Falco
 13 Sep 2013, 18:30 #172446 Reply To Post
Just attended about a third of an interesting mini-course on self-editing your writing: what to do in your second and third drafts, essentially. Will post up notes in a while, but one nugget to think about before the evening festivities begin:

Allow yourself to write a crap first draft.

Di
 14 Sep 2013, 07:09 #172465 Reply To Post
Quote: Falco, Friday, 13 Sep 2013 18:30
Just attended about a third of an interesting mini-course on self-editing your writing: what to do in your second and third drafts, essentially. Will post up notes in a while, but one nugget to think about before the evening festivities begin:

Allow yourself to write a crap first draft.

Have fun, you lot. We are all soooooo jealous.
Di

SiobhanDaiko
 14 Sep 2013, 07:42 #172467 Reply To Post
First drafts don't have to be perfect. They just have to be written. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. Anyway, so envious of you and Patricia at York, Falco. Have a fab time! Cheers, S x
Siobhan Daiko
Falco
 15 Sep 2013, 03:04 #172481 Reply To Post
Quote: SiobhanDaiko, Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 07:42
First drafts don't have to be perfect. They just have to be written. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. Anyway, so envious of you and Patricia at York, Falco. Have a fab time! Cheers, S x

Fab times have been duly had, Siobhan (as proven by the fact that this comes to you at 2.53AM).

Our Patricia waves and sends her love to one and all, and says it'll be few days before she gets home and sets up her spanking new computer (to replace the one apparently comprehensively knackered by whatever download was attached to the Famelton Free Critique - Gods, remember that?; seems like a lifetime ago already). Have to say, Patricia's been waylaying perfectly innocent strangers, waving her critique at them lol - I should note, this includes major UK agents She's been a complete star, a one-woman JF publicity machine! Weird aside - the day that I met her and she was inadvertantly the first person I spoke to at the conference, which some might think was a weird enough coincidence in itself, two other perfect strangers joined our table for evening drinks. "And what do you do?" one of them asked. "Oh I'm JF," say I. "Bugger me," she says, "we've both sent sample chapters in to you!" The odds of that evening are just astronomical...Anyhow - there's a lead story, which I'm not about to bury - check out the next post for some cooooooool news....
This post was last edited by Falco, 15 Sep 2013, 03:06

Falco
 15 Sep 2013, 03:24 #172482 Reply To Post

So - the fab and groovy news.
The Rusted Gun, and our very own Patricia, have received...guess how many agent requests for the manuscript? One? Two, maybe?

Nah, agents to the power of Thureee - 3 separate agents have asked for her manuscript, including some biggies, including Peters, Fraser and Dunlop, thankyouverymuch. Every supportive body get down and funky for Patricia "Three Agents" Fenn! AND - she's still got one more "one-to-one" consultation to have tomorrow. More news as we get it!

As for your Friendly Neighbourhood Falco? Welllllll....sorta. Given that my Happily Ever After manuscript is currently two books masquerading as one, and that it needs a good and proper rewrite before it would pass JF muster (yes, sometimes it's hell being both a writer and an editor - the conversations in one head are a nightmare!), am way happy enough - got three agents interested, one vaguely, one distinctly and one absolutely - but only if I "go gritty". Losing some whimsicality, adding half a ton of grit, getting all dark and sparkly, but keeping the humour - so Siobhan in particular, stand down from FWing me. Gonna edit the bejeepers out of the piece, and when it's reborn, you won't be able to see it, it'll be that gritty

Can't really describe the feeling, folks, when an agent - someone whose job it is to recommend you to the people who will turn your humble little story into...like...a proper book, with a cover, and readers and everything...looks you in the eye and tells you you can write. If ever you want something to make you take your ass - and more importantly your novel - seriously, that'll do the trick just fine and freakin' dandy, let me tell you.

Am triple happy tonight - firstly and mainly for our Patricia, whose Rusted Gun has been feeling the love from agents (though oddly enough, they seem to want the name changed); secondly, for my new improved, Gritmeister self, and thirdly for one of the total stranger women who turned up on our table, who's ALSO been asked to submit her work to an agent.

Gods, I need to go to bed - less than five hours from now, I have to be down for breakfast, and six hours from now, I have to be paying attention to "New Opportunities For Writers In The Digital Age."

Night folks. Productive notes from York to come, in addition to this hipster gibberish...honest...!

Di
 15 Sep 2013, 06:25 #172485 Reply To Post
Quote: Falco, Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 03:24

So - the fab and groovy news.
The Rusted Gun, and our very own Patricia, have received...guess how many agent requests for the manuscript? One? Two, maybe?

Nah, agents to the power of Thureee - 3 separate agents have asked for her manuscript, including some biggies, including Peters, Fraser and Dunlop, thankyouverymuch. Every supportive body get down and funky for Patricia "Three Agents" Fenn! AND - she's still got one more "one-to-one" consultation to have tomorrow. More news as we get it!

As for your Friendly Neighbourhood Falco? Welllllll....sorta. Given that my Happily Ever After manuscript is currently two books masquerading as one, and that it needs a good and proper rewrite before it would pass JF muster (yes, sometimes it's hell being both a writer and an editor - the conversations in one head are a nightmare!), am way happy enough - got three agents interested, one vaguely, one distinctly and one absolutely - but only if I "go gritty". Losing some whimsicality, adding half a ton of grit, getting all dark and sparkly, but keeping the humour - so Siobhan in particular, stand down from FWing me. Gonna edit the bejeepers out of the piece, and when it's reborn, you won't be able to see it, it'll be that gritty

Can't really describe the feeling, folks, when an agent - someone whose job it is to recommend you to the people who will turn your humble little story into...like...a proper book, with a cover, and readers and everything...looks you in the eye and tells you you can write. If ever you want something to make you take your ass - and more importantly your novel - seriously, that'll do the trick just fine and freakin' dandy, let me tell you.

Am triple happy tonight - firstly and mainly for our Patricia, whose Rusted Gun has been feeling the love from agents (though oddly enough, they seem to want the name changed); secondly, for my new improved, Gritmeister self, and thirdly for one of the total stranger women who turned up on our table, who's ALSO been asked to submit her work to an agent.

Gods, I need to go to bed - less than five hours from now, I have to be down for breakfast, and six hours from now, I have to be paying attention to "New Opportunities For Writers In The Digital Age."

Night folks. Productive notes from York to come, in addition to this hipster gibberish...honest...!

Oh, wow! Fantastic news for you both, especially Patricia because her confidence in her own ability needed such a boost. Bril news for me as well as you Tony, if you can find agents liking way out comedy, maybe my scribbling can find a home one day. I am so happy for you both. Break out the wine. Cheers!
Anyone for a party? Di

SiobhanDaiko
 15 Sep 2013, 10:23 #172488 Reply To Post
Wow! I'm joining the party and I'm so happy for Patricia and for you too, Falco, (bring on that gritty read!), that I just have to use a couple of emoticons ... Looking forward to hearing how you get on today. Cheers, S x
This post was last edited by SiobhanDaiko, 15 Sep 2013, 10:28
Siobhan Daiko
j emovon
 15 Sep 2013, 11:05 #172489 Reply To Post
Well done to both of you! It sounds like you have had a great tiime.
my website

My Facebook

My Twitter
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last : 16 >   Jump to Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 23 March 2017, 06:01