The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Where-Stand-All << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - YWO Members Recommend Help Search Recent Posts
Where-Stand-All
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
carly
 24 Apr 2012, 08:52 #148268 Reply To Post
I just reviewed Where-Stand-All by someone enigmatically named Hegma Heghena and then discovered that it's Alffry. You read so many pieces of writing on this site but it's rare that one sticks with you, and Where-Stand-All will definitely stick with me for a long time. It was wonderful. It doesn't seem to be in the charts - why?!
PERRY
 24 Apr 2012, 10:32 #148280 Reply To Post
Charts are not always indicators of the best quality.

Sometimes the jealous will see a piece heading that way and sabotage it in the belief that what their inferior talent will not achieve, their knowledge of the scoring system will.

It's an unfortunate reality which might be addressed if the top ten could be entered immediately or even after four assigned reviews.

Having to hang around long enough to be marked 8 times before potential entry just gives the rodentia that much more time to be assigned a promising piece - and award it the hobbling 3s 2s and 1s.

Then again - we all have different tastes and perspective on quality.
carly
 24 Apr 2012, 11:25 #148292 Reply To Post
It never occurred to me that people might do that! It's very sad...
Kasia
 24 Apr 2012, 16:19 #148322 Reply To Post
I recommended this book when I reviewed it too (quite a few months ago). It is utterly brilliant and I can't believe it has not made the top ten.
youngun
 24 Apr 2012, 19:25 #148335 Reply To Post
Quote: Kasia, Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 16:19
I recommended this book when I reviewed it too (quite a few months ago). It is utterly brilliant and I can't believe it has not made the top ten.

Just had another look at this sub-Tolkienesque crap. Sincerely hope I don't get you as a reviewer.
Jane Doe
 24 Apr 2012, 21:16 #148346 Reply To Post
Quote: youngun, Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 19:25

Just had another look at this sub-Tolkienesque crap. Sincerely hope I don't get you as a reviewer.

Tee hee.
'Always tell the truth. If you can't always tell the truth, don't lie.'
rosalindwinter
 25 Apr 2012, 09:03 #148375 Reply To Post
From the enthusiastic comments above, I imagine that it's doing very well with its Readers of this Genre rating, but that it just doesn't appeal to the general reader. (I couldn't get beyond the first few pages, so I rejected it as an assignment, as I didn't feel I would be able to say anything constructive about it).
That's often the way with genre fiction on YWO: no matter how good a piece is of its kind, its overall rating may be low because people have reviewed it who don't know/like/understand the genre.

If the writer is hoping for a chart place, my advice (and YWO's) would be to put up a new, revised version, and try again: it has now had 28 reviews,and with that many it's almost impossible to move at all in the charts, up or down.
This post was last edited by rosalindwinter, 25 Apr 2012, 09:04
********************************************************************************
Scias te fortasse Romanum esse si ... discrimen apud te recentissimum tumultus fuerit servilis (Henricus Barbatus)
youngun
 25 Apr 2012, 11:55 #148389 Reply To Post
Quote: rosalindwinter, Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012 09:03
From the enthusiastic comments above, I imagine that it's doing very well with its Readers of this Genre rating, but that it just doesn't appeal to the general reader. (I couldn't get beyond the first few pages, so I rejected it as an assignment, as I didn't feel I would be able to say anything constructive about it).
That's often the way with genre fiction on YWO: no matter how good a piece is of its kind, its overall rating may be low because people have reviewed it who don't know/like/understand the genre.

If the writer is hoping for a chart place, my advice (and YWO's) would be to put up a new, revised version, and try again: it has now had 28 reviews,and with that many it's almost impossible to move at all in the charts, up or down.

Or why not just chuck it in the bin. That's what most agents and publishers do.
youngun
 25 Apr 2012, 13:21 #148396 Reply To Post
Quote: youngun, Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012 11:55
Quote: rosalindwinter, Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012 09:03

Or why not just chuck it in the bin. That's what most agents and publishers do.

I realise that this advice is a bit harsh, albeit true on agents and publishers. Instead, may I recommend the specially crafted Hermes Birkin YWO hatpin. Handy to carry in your headwear of choice and ideal for deflating those tiresome essays in pompo-fantasy!

Kasia
 25 Apr 2012, 16:04 #148407 Reply To Post
Quote: youngun, Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 19:25

What a bitter troll you are - calling someone's efforts 'crap' is plain nasty. I sincerely hope I don't get you as a reviewer.

Page 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 13:11