The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

WH Smith << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - The Hopes, Dreams & Broken Schemes Forum Help Search Recent Posts
WH Smith
Page 1 2 3 Last : 4 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Snowman
 01 May 2009, 14:38 #56539 Reply To Post
I've lost the thread where people were discussing trying to get WH Smith stores interested in stocking their books, but I thought people out there might be interested in my breakthrough locally.

After months of trying to get to see the manager at my local store and being fobbed off, I eventually went down there armed with my two books and left them for him as he was at lunch.

I eventually met him today (without an appointment) and he has agreed to display a few for me but the stores are supplied centrally and deal with Countrywide and Northern Books in this area, and specifically mentioned that they don't order through Gardners.

At least something is happening at last and I can get the local press to do a follow up article for me. Now I'm nervous that no-one will buy them!!

Jeannette
chrissieH
 01 May 2009, 14:44 #56541 Reply To Post
Which branch is it? If it's anywhere local to me I'll go and buy a copy I could incorporate it with a bit of 'window shopping'.
pam123writing
 01 May 2009, 15:01 #56545 Reply To Post
Quote: chrissieH, Friday, 1 May 2009 14:44
Which branch is it? If it's anywhere local to me I'll go and buy a copy I could incorporate it with a bit of 'window shopping'.

I'll do the same if it's near me!
Three Steps to Heaven
'Til I Kissed You
Always On My Mind
A rock'n'roll romance series by Pam Howes all available on Amazon in paperback and e-Books.
Visit my website for details.
Fast Movin' Train - A stand alone love story.
Amazon links on:
website

"And, in the end, the love you take / Is equal to the love you make." Lennon and McCartney 1969
Snowman
 01 May 2009, 15:35 #56550 Reply To Post
Thanks to you both but I don't think I'll be anywhere near you. I am in Sunny Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire and the 'window shopping' is very hit and miss. You might be lucky though

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

Jeannette
deborahdonaldson
 01 May 2009, 16:50 #56561 Reply To Post
Oooooh Snowman (Jeannette to me!) this is so exciting.

Maybe when YWO and Legend press finally get my new cover sorted we will see all 4 of our books on the shelves of WHS together

Can't say I'll buy yours there though - cos I've already got it

chrissieH
 02 May 2009, 10:50 #56627 Reply To Post
I'm in Somerset so that makes it a bit of a round trip!

Good luck and I admire your perseverence. Just goes to show...
jaccamelli
 02 May 2009, 13:43 #56643 Reply To Post
Quote: Snowman, Friday, 1 May 2009 14:38
I've lost the thread where people were discussing trying to get WH Smith stores interested in stocking their books, but I thought people out there might be interested in my breakthrough locally.

After months of trying to get to see the manager at my local store and being fobbed off, I eventually went down there armed with my two books and left them for him as he was at lunch.

I eventually met him today (without an appointment) and he has agreed to display a few for me but the stores are supplied centrally and deal with Countrywide and Northern Books in this area, and specifically mentioned that they don't order through Gardners.

At least something is happening at last and I can get the local press to do a follow up article for me. Now I'm nervous that no-one will buy them!!

Jeannette [/quote

Well done Jeanette. It just shows that perseverence can sometimes pay off. I'm going to beard my local (Fort William, Highlands of Scotland) WH Smith manager next week. One of my husband's colleagues from work went in the other day to try and order my book 'The Witches' Tree' and was told it was out of print!!! So am feeling aggrieved, annoyed etc. etc. and ready to do battle!
Jacqui

Snowman
 02 May 2009, 22:21 #56670 Reply To Post
Thanks all of you for your good wishes. It really helps to know that fellow writers are behind you and suffering the same setbacks as well as the same joys.

Chrissie, Somerset is a beautiful county but it is a long way from here, but it is great to talk to you through YWO and follow everyone's progress.

As for the 'window shopping', are the Somerset ones any more promising? Referring back to the Hello thread and the voting which seems to have gone astray - Richard Armitage (Guy of Gisbourne in Robin Hood). He'd be snapped up straight away.

Jacqui - I'm ready to do battle on your behalf. Just name the time and place and I'll be there. Fort William is beautiful too. How come everyone lives in these lovely places?
This post was last edited by Snowman, 02 May 2009, 22:24
deborahdonaldson
 04 May 2009, 14:44 #56798 Reply To Post
Snowman,

Just had my e-mail telling me that my new covers are ready

I'll have to run fast up Scunnie high street to try and catch up with you if our books are to be on the shelves together
Snowman
 05 May 2009, 09:05 #56859 Reply To Post
Hi Debs

Glad to hear your book covers are ready. Shall we share the publicity this week? The Telegraph are ringing me at some point so I'll put them on to you too.

Get those running shoes on - Smiths won't know what's hit them!

Jeannette
Page 1 2 3 Last : 4 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 26 May 2019, 20:13