The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Top 10 'unsuitable' books for teenagers - << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - Genre Faves - YWO Members Recommend Help Search Recent Posts
Top 10 'unsuitable' books for teenagers -
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Book News
 09 Apr 2011, 10:56 #115031 Reply To Post
Patrick Ness's top 10 'unsuitable' books for teenagers - Guardian article

"…There are a number of books that are actually rather better if read when you're a teen, some because they're entertaining contraband, some because it can never be too early to read something so wonderful, and some because, if you wait, you might have missed your chance forever."

1. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
The obvious first choice, but not necessarily because of its literary reputation. It needs to be read when you're young. If you first meet Holden Caulfield when you're too old, the
desire to give him a good slap might impede your enjoyment.

2. The Stand by Stephen King

For his sheer ability to get teenagers to love reading, Stephen King is a saint. I did a book report on Pet Sematary in 8th grade. My English teacher, bless her forever, gave me an A. I pick The Stand because if you're an adult, it's a bit long. If you're a teenager, it's War and Peace. Scratch that, if you're a teenager, it's better. And that's no bad thing.

3. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
Speaking of 1000+ page books, Infinite Jest is filled with all the things that are brilliant to read when you're young: unembarrassed cleverness, a cheeky take on the future, hilarious experiments with form, and a serious sense of accomplishment when you're finished.

4. Beloved by Toni Morrison
I read Beloved when I was 15, and it felt like the first time being allowed to sit at the grown-up's table. I may not have followed every word, but I was mesmerised. And I learned without even knowing I was being taught.

View complete list
This post was last edited by Book News, 09 Apr 2011, 10:56
Malcolm
 10 Apr 2011, 04:01 #115054 Reply To Post
If Patrick Ness had waited a while to read The Virgin Suicides, he might have learned that it was written in the first person plural, not the third.
No stars. No charts. Just crits.
PERRY
 02 Sep 2011, 22:12 #128737 Reply To Post
Frankly I would have included Junk and Clockwork Orange in there. They seem to have turned out to be well thumbed operations manuals for teenagers rather than anything educational.
F L Burrows
 03 Sep 2011, 00:12 #128748 Reply To Post
How about the Bible?
After all, there's all that sex and violence!
j emovon
 11 Jun 2013, 12:36 #168676 Reply To Post
I read and read when I was in my teens.
My mother would have died if she knew HALF!

I had a reading/comprehension age of 18 + by the time I was 7 and my parents just let me loose in the local libary.

When I was 11, yes folks, 11.... first year at secondary school...(I know, I would KILL my kids if they did this!)

some older kids in my school had managed to get hold of some books that were banned, tried to read them and bought them to me to read and explain ( I was a renowned book geek by that time).

I remember having 'Deep Throat' by Linda Lovelace, 'Lady Chaterly's Lover' and 'Clockwork Orange' hidden in with my school books ready to give lunch time readings at the bottom of the school field.

I corrupted a generation.

my website

My Facebook

My Twitter
SPARTAN242
 24 Dec 2013, 19:34 #175323 Reply To Post
I read Hell's Angels by Hunter S Thompson when I was eleven... The book bus came by one day and that was in there for sale... Funnily not a single teacher took the book from me.
TheCellan
 05 Feb 2014, 21:57 #176282 Reply To Post
Rethink
This post was last edited by TheCellan, 05 Feb 2014, 21:59
Six geese a-laying
coalface
 01 Mar 2014, 02:45 #177470 Reply To Post
I thought Ulysses by JJ was the bible when I was thirteen, 'cause it was pretty trad after having just read The Naked Lunch by WB. Lots for kids to learn in these books, can't recommend them enough.
This post was last edited by coalface, 01 Mar 2014, 02:46
lordfoul
 01 Mar 2014, 13:07 #177482 Reply To Post
The dictionary.
fhebbert
 01 Mar 2014, 19:31 #177503 Reply To Post
Quote: lordfoul, Saturday, 1 Mar 2014 13:07
The dictionary.

Not only is this funny, it's also one of your more lucid posts.
Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 13 December 2017, 18:45