The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

This site. << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > It Was A Dark And Stormy Night... Help Search Recent Posts
This site.
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
TerryReader
 16 Nov 2016, 17:09 #200062 Reply To Post
Hi

I've been using this site for several years and have been happy with it, my writing has improved. I even managed to get into the top ten recently.

As a result of this I wanted to look a bit deeper into the workings, and apparently we get a review from someone from one of the big publishing houses if we can manage to stay in the top ten for (a month?) I think.

Anyway, so since my story got into the top ten, in spite of having 4 credits, nobody has read my piece and it has dropped out of the top ten.

The recent closure of Authonomy, which I did not use btw, has made me question this site and whole idea of peer review sites.

In other words, apart from aiding the novice writer, do they serve any useful purpose? I've tried to ask via the contact email, but they, whoever mat be, do not reply personally to emails.

Also this site has not changed in all the years I've been using it. The same books covers are up there to show that some books have made publishing. (Pig detective Agency - Caliguala) Are there any since then?

I've worked pretty hard at getting my writing to a better level and this site has helped me. But is that it?

Does anyone know anything?
pipio
 17 Nov 2016, 00:21 #200063 Reply To Post
Quote: TerryReader, Wednesday, 16 Nov 2016 17:09
Hi

I've been using this site for several years and have been happy with it, my writing has improved. I even managed to get into the top ten recently.

As a result of this I wanted to look a bit deeper into the workings, and apparently we get a review from someone from one of the big publishing houses if we can manage to stay in the top ten for (a month?) I think.

Anyway, so since my story got into the top ten, in spite of having 4 credits, nobody has read my piece and it has dropped out of the top ten.

The recent closure of Authonomy, which I did not use btw, has made me question this site and whole idea of peer review sites.

In other words, apart from aiding the novice writer, do they serve any useful purpose? I've tried to ask via the contact email, but they, whoever mat be, do not reply personally to emails.

Also this site has not changed in all the years I've been using it. The same books covers are up there to show that some books have made publishing. (Pig detective Agency - Caliguala) Are there any since then?

I've worked pretty hard at getting my writing to a better level and this site has helped me. But is that it?

Hi, Terry. Glad you are sticking with the site. It has been run down somewhat in recent years, when the funding ceased, but its original concept -- that writers can give/receive reviews from their peers -- still has value if you are lucky enough to get a reviewer who knows his/her stuff. Yes, the 'prize' for a top ten entry on the last day of the month was a pro crit. One has to add a new credit every 7 days to remain in the top ten or they will drop out. Pro crits used to happen every month, but sadly it has reduced. I can't remember which months it happens or if it does anymore. The site architecture is very old, and like a tumble-down edifice, unsafe in places and riddled with spam, but there are still competent reviewers here. A good review can be worth two pontifications of a publishing house editor's anyway, IMO.
Three or four YWO members have acquired publishing contracts since those you mentioned, after improving their craft here, although they usually got them through their own hard work.
This post was last edited by pipio, 17 Nov 2016, 00:26
... an honest insult is so much better than an insincere flattery...
notleyab
 17 Nov 2016, 13:42 #200077 Reply To Post
Just look at this place as a building where the caretaker has gone AWOL.
The facilities are still connected - it's just that you have to share the building with some squatters.
Sure the building's seen better days - but why not protect what's left rather than leave it to fall down.
Zuckerberg Shmuckerberg, Starbucks Sucks
TerryReader
 17 Nov 2016, 16:23 #200080 Reply To Post
Thanks for the comment. It seems weird that this site has run down. Why doesn't someone pick it up? It seems so anonymous though. Who's in charge? Is there a name? Someone to contact with a view to picking it up a bit?

Cheers

Quote: TerryReader, Wednesday, 16 Nov 2016 17:09
Hi

pipio
 17 Nov 2016, 17:32 #200082 Reply To Post
You can try using the contact us links on the site. The main man is Edward Smith, or Ted as he prefers to be known. Hopefully he is still around but he hasn't appeared on the forums for a while.
lordfoul
 17 Nov 2016, 19:27 #200085 Reply To Post
Or you could try the FeedaRead counter.
gyjcg
 22 Nov 2016, 17:03 #200742 Reply To Post
Quote: pipio, Thursday, 17 Nov 2016 17:32
You can try using the contact us links on the site. The main man is Edward Smith, or Ted as he prefers to be known. Hopefully he is still around but he hasn't appeared on the forums for a while.

He is still around. He thanked me for a synopsis I sent him. That was a month after I sent it to him, though, so he's as punctual as ever. And, yes, the pro crits are still going twice a year.
notleyab
 22 Nov 2016, 17:30 #200743 Reply To Post
Quote: gyjcg, Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 17:03

He is still around. He thanked me for a synopsis I sent him. That was a month after I sent it to him, though, so he's as punctual as ever. And, yes, the pro crits are still going twice a year.

You got an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How did you wangle that?
I gave up after not getting replies to 2msgs...
I can imagine he got peedoff with all the whinging etc that went on, so don't really blame him.
As I sd b4, as long as he leaves the site up it's here to be managed (I use tt very loosely) as pple see fit...
In some ways I think it might hv improved.
There seems to be less unnecessary abuse in the reviews.
What there is now seems to focus more on this msg board, where it can be easily ignored by the thin-skinned
Zuckerberg Shmuckerberg, Starbucks Sucks
pipio
 22 Nov 2016, 21:17 #200745 Reply To Post
Quote: gyjcg, Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 17:03

That's good to know, Julian. I was a little worried.

Quote: notleyab, Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 17:30

I can imagine he got peedoff with all the whinging etc that went on, so don't really blame him.
As I sd b4, as long as he leaves the site up it's here to be managed (I use tt very loosely) as pple see fit...
In some ways I think it might hv improved.
There seems to be less unnecessary abuse in the reviews.
What there is now seems to focus more on this msg board, where it can be easily ignored by the thin-skinned

I would bugger off back to sleepy Herts and never come back too if I had to log on and endure such cynical vitriol from the likes of us ungrateful moaners. Luckily, I don't.
Walls
 23 Nov 2016, 17:19 #200758 Reply To Post
I contacted him and said he needed mods to help him admin, and I volunteered to do it for a week so he could see if it worked. All it would take is a few hours to remove spam, would love to help out a bit.
Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 04:35