The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

The spammers have breached the walls << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > The Thank-You Forum - Post Here Help Search Recent Posts
The spammers have breached the walls
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
EBCB
 30 Nov 2017, 16:58 #235989 Reply To Post
Logged in to do a review and found myself faced with a page of spam where the text should have been. Have reported it, but didn't dare ask for another one in case it was the same - s'pose I could just give it all 1s and write goobley-gook 50 times to meet the criteria... much easier than doing a real review. Anybody else come across this? Cheryl
AlfFry
 30 Nov 2017, 19:44 #235990 Reply To Post
Quote: EBCB, Thursday, 30 Nov 2017 16:58
Logged in to do a review and found myself faced with a page of spam where the text should have been. Have reported it, but didn't dare ask for another one in case it was the same - s'pose I could just give it all 1s and write goobley-gook 50 times to meet the criteria... much easier than doing a real review. Anybody else come across this? Cheryl

Yes - this has been happening for a month or more. As a member the best way to deal with it is as you have suggested - cut a bit of the script from the spam narrative, give a review of 1's then paste the piece of script you've cut s into the review field when you get there, to save yourself the bother of writing your own review.

I suspect the only way YWO can address these fake members and their spam is an all out effort to spot them and remove them one by one as they appear to clear the site for genuine members.

If we as members are getting additional reading credits for fake reviews, in order to use the site and give and receive genuine reviews, then so be it. It's YWO's problem to fix as best it can.
This post was last edited by AlfFry, 30 Nov 2017, 19:46
EBCB
 01 Dec 2017, 17:32 #235991 Reply To Post
Good suggestion re sending back their own gobbledy-gook Alf, thanks. Cheryl

AlfFry
 02 Dec 2017, 21:32 #235997 Reply To Post
Hi, Cheryl - would you like to put a 'featured writer' post -2 or 3 paras on Facebook page 'You Read On' which I manage and which incudes a post on When the Madach Came - about what motivates you to write, what you wanted to achieve with Madach and what you're working on now, etc.? You can message me on the page itself. With your fine result in the new 'Best Sellers' lisitng it may be timely.
Quote: EBCB, Friday, 1 Dec 2017 17:32

EBCB
 03 Dec 2017, 07:50 #235998 Reply To Post
Quote: AlfFry, Saturday, 2 Dec 2017 21:32
Hi, Cheryl - would you like to put a 'featured writer' post -2 or 3 paras on Facebook page 'You Read On' which I manage and which incudes a post on When the Madach Came - about what motivates you to write, what you wanted to achieve with Madach and what you're working on now, etc.? You can message me on the page itself. With your fine result in the new 'Best Sellers' lisitng it may be timely.
Quote: EBCB, Friday, 1 Dec 2017 17:32

Will do Alf - I don't use Facebook *except my husband's occasionally to send happy birthdays to his grandkids) but if you send me the link to the beach.burman email address I'll do the Danae books and also Fallen Woman (which is the full length novel of the short story and is on this site as Devil's River - currently being edited by our mate Tony Fyler from ywo, who's being wonderfully helpful (and positive!) best Cheryl

Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 17 December 2017, 12:05