The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

The Scent of an Angel << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - Genre Faves - YWO Members Recommend Help Search Recent Posts
The Scent of an Angel
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Reco
 06 Jun 2009, 10:00 #60520 Reply To Post
Title : The Scent of an Angel

Author : Gigi Eligoloff

Genre : Chicklit, Comedy, Fantasy, Womens Fiction

Review Extract By: scottle77

Scent of an Angel

Okay, so first off this genre is really not my cup of tea but aside from the fact that I am very worried about your more than passing interest in shops, clothes and shoes this was a very enjoyable and amusing read.

I very much enjoyed the unique viewpoint of the narrator and that this was not hidden from us but rather an integral part of your plot. I can see that this would be very appealing and should be highly marketable.

My one dislike which is a personal thing as in some ways was the very hallmark of your writing so disregard it if you like, was the overuse of metaphors and cliche. You even mention it as the narrator at one point and once pointed out it became a little too annoying.

That said, I enjoyed it when you changed the language to your own such as full to burping!

That said, there were a couple of phrases I couldnt work out such as wind bruised safety swings!!

Overall though I have given you 4' and 5's as although its not 'my bag, baby' I can see the skill in crafting something like this and understand it has an appeal.

Well done and good luck

Synopsis
Helen's life should not have been more perfect after receiving a fat redundancy pay-off and meeting the perfect man. But just when the happy ending was meant to arrive, life takes a decided turn for the worst. Angels, dictionaries and bad smells all add up to a most unlikely comic journey to a tiny Cornish seaside resort. And, very much, beyond.

Date of Review : 01 Jun 2009

The Scent of an Angel by Gigi Eligoloff

Review By: Annie Wicking

An Angel

My reviews are done from the viewpoint of a reader using the guidelines and categories set down by the YWO website. Though I have added one more of my own, which I felt is important the opening … Read Full Reviews for more

Date of Review : 02 Jun 2009

The Scent of an Angel by Gigi Eligoloff

Review Extract By: Jillall

Great title

I think you have a great way with words. Humorous and very clever. I enjoyed your story, especially the beginning, though I did have to read over some of the paragraphs and sentences a few times before I got what you meant. The pace was racy, but I did keep up, with the same breathless excitement in which you seem to write. The only problem I did find was the latter part of the story starts to get a bit confusing, or perhaps needs more work. I’m not sure. Your sentences tend to run into one another where stops rather than commas might work better.

This is one example of what I mean: “I had always liked the idea of doing a Tai Chi class, for a start they always seem to do them in parks, which means you can streamline your body and grow at least an inch taller as well as get a nice tan at the same time;” A stop after class would make it read better, at least so for me.

This sentence also could do with a comma or stop after clammy to make it read better. A stop after lap as well. “My hands in particular were iced-up, and clammy but worst of all, as the murk appeared to somehow shift into a much lighter world, they looked like somebody else's; tightly scrunched in a little ball in my lap, for a second I was worried that in the world of the dead I had been given an knotty elastic band ball instead of my hands.”

You say the playground of your youth was over twenty years ago, yet you’re only 34. Would you remember them at four years of age?

I looked new from the packet: It looked not I looked (I think?)

I walked along side the Japanese Peace Garden: Alongside rather than along side.

years before Colin Firth stripped to his white shirt off and: Do you need the word to?

would humiliate my meagre CD collection, sending it crying home to it’s mum: to its mum, not it’s mum.

punctuated by intervals of waning moons and sun sets,: sun sets is one word, sunsets.

When I met the man of my dreams, had a whole stash of cash, and was on the verge of eternal enlightenment with my Shwarmi Tai Chi master why would this happen.: This sentence doesn’t make sense. Is Shwarmi meant to be spelt this way?

Other than this I think you have a great read. It’s not very often I laugh when I read a book. I wish you all the best.

Date of Review : 05 Jun 2009 | Review No. : 85771

Synopsis
Helen's life should not have been more perfect after receiving a fat redundancy pay-off and meeting the perfect man. But just when the happy ending was meant to arrive, life takes a decided turn for the worst. Angels, dictionaries and bad smells all add up to a most unlikely comic journey to a tiny Cornish seaside resort. And, very much, beyond.
Enter any story title into the search function on the top right hand corner of the site to read the opening chapters.
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 04:33