The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Thank you mike2348UK << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > The Thank-You Forum - Post Here Help Search Recent Posts
Thank you mike2348UK
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
cheryl
 07 Jan 2019, 17:12 #239711 Reply To Post
Can others please help me out here? Mike tells me although he is UK based, he has no idea what the phrases below, taken from Raine, mean - I have had 2 americans on another site tell me they had no idea what a kookaburra was (I did say bird in the next line to avoid them having to google). One was also totally bemused by hiccough although I had pointed out UK spelling and fell to pieces when I talked about baby's nappies. I am also UK based although Aus (that's short for Australian) by birth and upbringing. As far as I can tell the only Aus specific words here are kookaburra and jackeroo which I would have thought are pretty well known to UK readers at least - and tinker's arse is an amalgam of two UK slang terms - tinker's cuss and rat's arse.
Are we having to write Janet and John now (that means very basic English aimed at 6 year olds based on the reading primers of the 1950s)? Please pile in! (that means contribute to the debate) Hopefully liven the site up a bit, Cheryl

Happy New Year

‘the raucous mockery of the kookaburra laughing from his red gum.’
‘White clouds scudd [YES SPELT INCORRECTLY] high in a winter-blue sky’ +’ (with a martyred moue)’ suggest the writer did not properly proof read this story.
Other problem phrases are:
‘soupcon of bitterness,’ ‘ cracks like a jackeroo’s whip’. ‘never given a tinker’s arse’
The Gannet
 07 Jan 2019, 20:17 #239712 Reply To Post
Hi Cheryl,

I wouldn't worry about it. You've got 3 very encouraging reviews so far.

At a much later stage when you're deciding on the target audiences or competitions to enter, you can perhaps have a look at whether you need to replace some of the regional dialect.

(I had a story long-listed in the Fish Short Story Competition last year. In a follow-up critique, the judge suggested that I replacee one word. She understood the meaning/relevance of the word but felt that readers outside the UK/Ireland would be confused.)

If you or others are looking for a listing of competitions, christopherfielden.com has a brilliant list updated weekly.

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Eamon
cheryl
 08 Jan 2019, 07:58 #239719 Reply To Post
Good point Eamon, but it was more the phrases that aren’t regional that had me, well, intrigued! And well done, I see you’re getting some successes - well deserved! Best, Cheryl
The Gannet
 09 Jan 2019, 08:37 #239734 Reply To Post
Hi Cheryl,

Coincidentally, the latest critique I've received raises the same point. I used the road "boreen" in my story and the reviewer quite correctly asks if readers outside the British Isles would know what a boreen is!

Am I going to change it? Don't know. The story has been published but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be improved further. ( The review was one of the most helpful I've got on YWO and given me plenty of room for thought).

This writing lark isn't as easy as many people think!

Have a good day

Eamon
carters
 09 Jan 2019, 12:54 #239737 Reply To Post
IMO there is a balance to be struck. On the one hand you want your work to be accessible but dumbing down too far can dilute and diminish the content: not an easy conundrum to solve. In the end I feel it is up to the writer to decide if the content is suitable for their intended audience. As you said Eamon, not easy.
Happy New Year and continued success to you both.
Stuart
The Gannet
 09 Jan 2019, 16:26 #239738 Reply To Post
Well said, Stuart.

Any idea why my story which was hovering around No10 some time ago has now disappeared into cyberspace despite my overall score improving dramatically? ..... No big deal as the story has been published, but as stated previously, there doesn't appear to be any maintenance of the site for a long time.

Continued success to you with your efforts. Keep the flag flying.

Cheers,

Eamon
carters
 09 Jan 2019, 16:31 #239739 Reply To Post
If you don’t add a reading credit within 30 days your submission drops into the abyss, could it be that? If so add a credit and it will bounce back.
Regards
Stuart
Anna Hunt
 09 Jan 2019, 16:41 #239741 Reply To Post
Quote: The Gannet, Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 16:26
Well said, Stuart.

Any idea why my story which was hovering around No10 some time ago has now disappeared into cyberspace despite my overall score improving dramatically? ..... No big deal as the story has been published, but as stated previously, there doesn't appear to be any maintenance of the site for a long time.

Cheers,

Eamon

The same happened to my 'One Stolen Kiss', and as I'd recently critiqued one of yours, I noticed that yours was missing too. Both you and I had credits attached. OSK was nowhere to be found in the charts from late November right through until a couple of days ago when I got notification of a review - the first since 23rd November.

Perhaps yours will magically reappear sooooon.

I have been a member since 2006, I think, and I have loved this site, and made good friends through it. I hope it can continue successfully for many years to come. So sad to see the spam on the message boards.

cheryl
 09 Jan 2019, 17:52 #239742 Reply To Post
Thanks everyone. Seems it's a universal issue! And I guess mike2348UK was correct when he said we have to consider our target audience, but again I want to emphasise that it wasn't the regional words that raised my eyebrows, but words like moue and soupcon.. (And I have no idea what a boreen is, but I'd bet my bottom dollar I could work it out from the context or let it wash over me and wonder another day! Will go and look it up immediately) Cheryl
The Gannet
 11 Jan 2019, 09:43 #239755 Reply To Post
Magic, Eureka etc.
Reappeared at Number4 this morning. ( a bit early to open the vino).Many thanks Stuart. You seem to be the only one who knows how the system works.
Any chance you could drop down to Westminister for a few days and worth things out?

Many thanks

Eamon

Quote: Anna Hunt, Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 16:41
Quote: The Gannet, Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 16:26
Well said, Stuart.

Cheers,

Eamon

The same happened to my 'One Stolen Kiss', and as I'd recently critiqued one of yours, I noticed that yours was missing too. Both you and I had credits attached. OSK was nowhere to be found in the charts from late November right through until a couple of days ago when I got notification of a review - the first since 23rd November.

Perhaps yours will magically reappear sooooon.

I have been a member since 2006, I think, and I have loved this site, and made good friends through it. I hope it can continue successfully for many years to come. So sad to see the spam on the message boards.

Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 23 October 2019, 12:41