The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Thank you Akisdad << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > The Thank-You Forum - Post Here Help Search Recent Posts
Thank you Akisdad
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
EBCB
 21 Oct 2017, 10:07 #234945 Reply To Post
Very helpful, many thanks. This thing has been so worked to death evenI've lost the plot! It's a short, as you noted, which has a 4K word limit for a comp, so putting in more means st has to go. I think, actually, it's too ambitious in its aims and needs a complete rethink. Good luck with your own work, Cheryl
akisdad
 21 Oct 2017, 11:45 #234946 Reply To Post
You're very welcome. I think it depends on how big a story you want to make of it. I could see this running to a full novel, in which case you'd really need to re-think the structure.
As I said, I don't know where you stop this. If it's a few hundred words after the point where it stops here, then you've every chance of fitting in all that would be needed to make the story work beautifully. I liked the time shifts and the mood of the whole thing and think it works pretty well as a sample. It would only be if you saw this as being the finished piece that I'd say you needed to go back and think it out again.
Bob
EBCB
 21 Oct 2017, 15:29 #234949 Reply To Post
It is a full novel - 118,000 words of it... An early version (Devil's River,) earned us a positive Bloomsbury review on this site. Having had some helpful feedback from agents but no takers, we're focusing there for the time being. As you probably know, it can be very frustrating! Cheryl
akisdad
 21 Oct 2017, 17:11 #234950 Reply To Post
I'd say the full novel is the way to go - there's more than enough in what you put up to stretch that far. I'm guessing you're in Aussie, so I'm surprised you're not getting more interest. Colonial era woman's story sounds like a hit to me.
I wouldn't have time to look thorough much and I don't know that my insights would be that useful, but if you've got a sample of the novel, I'd try to read it through if you'd like.
Bung it to me on my email and I'll get to it when I can.
Bob
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 17 December 2017, 12:00