The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

TT system glitch << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Top Ten Help Search Recent Posts
TT system glitch
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
carters
 07 Apr 2018, 08:16 #237401 Reply To Post
I am not losing any sleep over it, but the chart position of my stories prove there is a glitch in the system. Today my story - Work-Life Balance (Rev) - is at No1 in the TT. Another of my stories - Mantra of Honesty – has higher scores in every category, has 7 reviews, and had a reading credit added on the 30th and another on the 2nd, yet it is at No12 in the chart. Why would it not enter the TT ????
carters
 29 Apr 2018, 01:00 #237469 Reply To Post
I think it has changed now. The book at No3 in the TT - The Fragility of Meaning (Chapters 5 & 6) - has 7 reviews, I think that is the new minimum.
Paulkardos
 30 Apr 2018, 13:39 #237476 Reply To Post
I am new here, but I operated under the impression it is seven reviews, as well. What’s odd is that you and I both have titles with seven reviews in the 11-20(or so) slots, but there are only 6 titles total in the top ten. Which tells me our entries should be in the top ten as of today. But they aren’t for some reason? Oh well, I got what I needed from the site - very helpful critiques. I get my professional reviews when I submit things for publication, haha. Based on reading your work, I hope to God you’re doing the same thing, Stuart!

UPDATE: Just realized the reason may be because my story is over the 5,000 limit by a couple hundred words. Perhaps that's the reason, eh? Rookie...
This post was last edited by Paulkardos, 30 Apr 2018, 14:22
carters
 30 Apr 2018, 21:20 #237478 Reply To Post
I don’t think the extra few words would stop it Paul, no one is watching that closely.
However, there is another rule, a story can’t enter the TT for the first time in the last seven days of the month. Further reviews not withstanding your story should appear in the TT on the 2nd of May.
Paulkardos
 01 May 2018, 02:00 #237479 Reply To Post
Now that I didn't know. Welp, May it is then...

Thing about the word count is that I'm under the impression the rankings are automated. When you submit a story over 5,000, you get an automatic warning that it won't be eligible for the top ten or the professional review due to word count. Trim the story below 5,000 and the warning goes away.

Makes me think that when the TT is calculated, the super-computer disqualifies automatically. Had I known better, I could have trimmed and hit the TT weeks ago. Oh well. Guess we'll see what happens, but thanks for the reply as always!
carters
 02 May 2018, 07:15 #237486 Reply To Post
Mmm, you could be right about the word count re the super-computer.
You also need to have added a reading credit within the last seven days.
Paulkardos
 03 May 2018, 18:20 #237494 Reply To Post
Indeed. The story just hit the top ten at #3 behind my pal Stuart. So it appears the word count is pretty specific. Well, I'll keep in mind attaching the credits every seven days, see what happens at the end of the month. Got a new piece up, hopefully get some good feedback. Congrats on your success this month and last, my friend!
carters
 03 May 2018, 22:41 #237495 Reply To Post
Cheers Paul.
I won’t hold my breath waiting for a pro crit though. Since the rules changed, and the pros started to pick 10 from the 3 competition month TT finishers I don’t think any short story has received a review. A pro crit is always welcome, but the feedback from reviewers on this site almost always contains something to ponder. And a consensus is something to take heed of.

Good luck with your writing, and I hope you continue to get useful critiques.
Paulkardos
 03 May 2018, 23:00 #237496 Reply To Post
Yes, I've heard shorts don't get much by the way of reviews. Thanks for confirming. It's not a worry as my goal has always been about the collective feedback. Which has proven to be invaluable, really. Top ten was more a curiosity, see how certain pieces stack up. I intend to drop a couple of chapters at some point, but don't like to post anything until it's gone through at least one edit. I love this site, wish there was more activity. Really helpful feedback for the most part.
tuckerjackk
 24 Sep 2018, 18:54 #239092 Reply To Post
Very Descriptive Article. And well Formatted.

Office.com/Setup Norton.com/Setup
Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 24 October 2018, 06:13