The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Sorry Docley << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > The Thank-You Forum - Post Here Help Search Recent Posts
Sorry Docley
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
carters
 09 Oct 2017, 21:37 #234263 Reply To Post
I am sorry my story had that effect on you Emily. I assume you know you are allowed to stop reading a submission, so I suppose I should give you extra thanks for soldiering on to the end: stoic.
Good luck with your own writing. Stuart.
AlfFry
 10 Oct 2017, 05:25 #234264 Reply To Post
This is a really interesting topic - how we care for our readers, give them some sense of what might lay ahead, what type of story will unfold. And it's fascinating the range of responses different readers and reviewers have to the same piece. Here on YWO I often see flags about violent or sexual content or swering in the story synopses - so maybe we could also consider warnings about unpleasant medical procedures or biological processes. All up, our main responsibility is to give an honest review - how a piece affected us and also how well we consider the piece has been written for the intended final readership, acknowledging that more often than not, we are not the target audience for the story.
Quote: carters, Monday, 9 Oct 2017 21:37
I am sorry my story had that effect on you Emily. I assume you know you are allowed to stop reading a submission, so I suppose I should give you extra thanks for soldiering on to the end: stoic.
Good luck with your own writing. Stuart.

carters
 10 Oct 2017, 07:01 #234265 Reply To Post
I agree with your point AH, and I have posted warnings on a couple of my pieces, but I didn’t see this reaction/effect coming. Hard to cater for all sensibilities.
Stuart.
AlfFry
 11 Oct 2017, 04:43 #234360 Reply To Post
Quote: carters, Tuesday, 10 Oct 2017 07:01
I agree with your point AH, and I have posted warnings on a couple of my pieces, but I didn’t see this reaction/effect coming. Hard to cater for all sensibilities.
Stuart.

As writers our responsibility is to cater for our readership and as reviewers we need to take this into account. So it's helpful to communicate our own responses and what we consider may be the responses of the intended readership. And I think we have to give the intended readership the priority.
Gumbanu
 12 Oct 2017, 06:37 #234454 Reply To Post
It's a brilliant and very amusing story. I can't see how you could have predicted anyone might be offended by nasal hairs and I'm not sure how you would write a warning in the synopsis relating to it... beware, contains subject matter of a follicly challenging nature.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, some people are offended by pineapple on pizza after all.

Keep writing your funny and authentic stories!

Dave

carters
 12 Oct 2017, 07:49 #234455 Reply To Post
Quote: Gumbanu, Thursday, 12 Oct 2017 06:37
It's a brilliant and very amusing story. I can't see how you could have predicted anyone might be offended by nasal hairs and I'm not sure how you would write a warning in the synopsis relating to it... beware, contains subject matter of a follicly challenging nature.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, some people are offended by pineapple on pizza after all.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave.

The last thing I want to do is upset or offend anyone. However, if you take that as a measure, I fear the warnings would take up half the word limit. Tricky.
Stuart

AlfFry
 12 Oct 2017, 10:05 #234457 Reply To Post
Quote: Gumbanu, Thursday, 12 Oct 2017 06:37

Dave

Don't get me started on the incompatibility of pizza and pineapple.

Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 15 December 2017, 16:05