The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Snowbooks call for submissions << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - The Hopes, Dreams & Broken Schemes Forum Help Search Recent Posts
Snowbooks call for submissions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
MJ26
 19 Dec 2008, 10:40 #53648 Reply To Post
The UK independent publisher Snowbooks has posted a call for submissions on its blog at http://www.snowbooks.com/weblog/ and scroll down to December 15th. Interesting stuff, worth a look at.

Very interestingly in the comments appended to the announcement a writer, Neil Coombs, asks the question:
"Do you accept submissions of novels that have already been self-published?" The unambiguous reply is, "Yes."

More interestingly the comment follows on from comments posted by Jane Smith, known to many here as HPRW - who has repeatedly advised writers on this forum that publishers are not interested in books which have already been self-published (unless X thousand copies sold etc, etc.). Make of that what you will. Merry Christmas and a fruitful new year to everyone.
AFTER GOYA
The Best of Barcelona Ink
timellis
 19 Dec 2008, 11:02 #53651 Reply To Post
Quote: MJ26, Friday, 19 Dec 2008 10:40
The UK independent publisher Snowbooks has posted a call for submissions on its blog at http://www.snowbooks.com/weblog/ and scroll down to December 15th. Interesting stuff, worth a look at.

Very interestingly in the comments appended to the announcement a writer, Neil Coombs, asks the question:
"Do you accept submissions of novels that have already been self-published?" The unambiguous reply is, "Yes."

More interestingly the comment follows on from comments posted by Jane Smith, known to many here as HPRW - who has repeatedly advised writers on this forum that publishers are not interested in books which have already been self-published (unless X thousand copies sold etc, etc.). Make of that what you will. Merry Christmas and a fruitful new year to everyone.

Interesting! Thanks for that MJ26. Saw your comment and the reply. Left one of my own about Young Adult books. They say no children's, but does this mean YA?
cherry12
 19 Dec 2008, 11:31 #53658 Reply To Post
Quote: timellis, Friday, 19 Dec 2008 11:02
Quote: MJ26, Friday, 19 Dec 2008 10:40
The UK independent publisher Snowbooks has posted a call for submissions

Neil Coombs, asks the question:

The ambiguity here may be the difference between self-published and already published.

Anyone who has their book published by a publisher (ie YWO) needs to be aware that First Publishing Rights have gone to that publisher. Whereas the author retains first publishing rights if he/she is his/her own publisher - as in self-published.
This post was last edited by cherry12, 19 Dec 2008, 11:32
NeilBarker
 19 Dec 2008, 11:49 #53664 Reply To Post
Do you get around that if YouWriteOn are mentioned nowhere in your book? With the only name other than mine appearing is Lightning Source. Might be worth a good look.
"Sometimes a little ambition goes a long way"

http://neilbarker.webs.com/

cherry12
 19 Dec 2008, 12:03 #53667 Reply To Post
Quote: NeilBarker, Friday, 19 Dec 2008 11:49
Do you get around that if YouWriteOn are mentioned nowhere in your book? With the only name other than mine appearing is Lightning Source. Might be worth a good look.

NO
because if your book has an ISBN,that book will be listed on Amazon, Barnes& Noble etc. with the publisher shown as youwriteon not the author (i.e self published)

Anyway you signed away your first publishing rights in your contract with YWO
This post was last edited by cherry12, 19 Dec 2008, 12:09
NeilBarker
 19 Dec 2008, 12:06 #53671 Reply To Post
Well, we'll have to see how things work, if I can't submit the one I've written and YouWriteOn have printed, I might keep them in mind for the book I'm writing at the moment.

cherry12
 19 Dec 2008, 12:11 #53672 Reply To Post
Quote: NeilBarker, Friday, 19 Dec 2008 12:06
Well, we'll have to see how things work, if I can't submit the one I've written and YouWriteOn have printed, I might keep them in mind for the book I'm writing at the moment.

NO
LS printed.
YWO published

Ever onwards and upwards
You may have only lost one book
KEEP WRITING
This post was last edited by cherry12, 19 Dec 2008, 12:13
MJ26
 19 Dec 2008, 12:20 #53675 Reply To Post
No-one has 'lost' any books. As I understand the YWO scheme rights can be reverted to the writer (at no cost) at any time.
AFTER GOYA
NeilBarker
 19 Dec 2008, 12:25 #53677 Reply To Post
And I haven't lost anything. If you think it's as simple as that, you're sadly mistaken. Just because the book published by YouWriteOn might not be published elsewhere easily, it doesn't mean it won't happen. There are so many ways to make things happen, you just have to take the chances and work hard. I have something else in the pipeline in relation to the book and if that works out there's no telling what could happen.

Sadly some people seem to still think things are just black and white. There is a universe full of colours and all kinds of ethnicities, nothing is as simple as it seems.

MJ26
 19 Dec 2008, 12:33 #53681 Reply To Post
Also, again only my understanding, there is no obligation on any writer to name YWO as the publisher in the text. This is all fairly new territory and YWO could be said to be a facilitator (i.e. between writer and printer) rather than publisher. Are writers who go to print via Lulu and Createspace self-published? or, are they published by Lulu and Createspace? The ISBN, if appended, has to be assigned to someone or some entity -- and in this scheme it is YWO -- (or is it Legend? I'm not entirely clear.) However, a book without an ISBN could be said to be self-published. In the case of this scheme all that's taken place is that the writer has asked YouWriteOn to arrange production of a text in book format.
This post was last edited by MJ26, 19 Dec 2008, 12:35
AFTER GOYA
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 19 March 2019, 21:24