The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Seeking advice - meeting with an agent << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
Seeking advice - meeting with an agent
Page 1 2 Last : 3 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
flossy
 15 Aug 2012, 03:42 #155135 Reply To Post
Hello,

I am preparing for a meeting with an agent. I have 30 minutes to pitch my Young Adult Novel (on this site as "Jolted").

Does anyone have any advice on what I should have prepared (aside from ms, synopsis & author bio)? Or any other tips?

(Durith - I've been working on those one-sentence catch phrases you suggested. Thanks.)

Cheers,

Fleur Ferris
chickin
 15 Aug 2012, 09:15 #155146 Reply To Post
Quote: flossy, Wednesday, 15 Aug 2012 03:42
Hello,

I am preparing for a meeting with an agent. I have 30 minutes to pitch my Young Adult Novel (on this site as "Jolted").

Does anyone have any advice on what I should have prepared (aside from ms, synopsis & author bio)? Or any other tips?

(Durith - I've been working on those one-sentence catch phrases you suggested. Thanks.)

Cheers,

Fleur Ferris

oooo no advice. I just popped in to wish you luck. How exciting!!!!

I hope it goes well, Come back and tell us how it went, won't you?
I deleted my sig.
youngun
 15 Aug 2012, 11:48 #155182 Reply To Post
It's the potential to turn out a line of books - say one a year - that agents and publishers will be most interested in. If you can major on how you will achieve that, it could help a lot.

Good luck!

This post was last edited by youngun, 15 Aug 2012, 11:49
campden
 15 Aug 2012, 17:16 #155194 Reply To Post
There are agents and agents and it isn't worth just signing up with one for the sake of it.

If you go with one, check their clients and sales before you sign up as once you do, you are tied and even if you give notice it takes sometimes a year to work your way out of the system.

Up to you....
flossy
 15 Aug 2012, 17:45 #155195 Reply To Post
Quote: chickin, Wednesday, 15 Aug 2012 09:15
Quote: flossy, Wednesday, 15 Aug 2012 03:42
Hello,

Cheers,

Fleur Ferris

oooo no advice. I just popped in to wish you luck. How exciting!!!!

I hope it goes well, Come back and tell us how it went, won't you?

Thanks Chickin. I will let you know how it goes.
flossy
 15 Aug 2012, 17:48 #155196 Reply To Post
Quote: youngun, Wednesday, 15 Aug 2012 11:48
It's the potential to turn out a line of books - say one a year - that agents and publishers will be most interested in. If you can major on how you will achieve that, it could help a lot.

Good luck!

Thanks youngun. I didn't have this on my list of things to think about...I was totally focussed on on the MS I'm trying to sell.
flossy
 15 Aug 2012, 18:05 #155198 Reply To Post
Quote: campden, Wednesday, 15 Aug 2012 17:16
There are agents and agents and it isn't worth just signing up with one for the sake of it.

If you go with one, check their clients and sales before you sign up as once you do, you are tied and even if you give notice it takes sometimes a year to work your way out of the system.

Up to you....

Thanks campden. This is a very good point. Thankfully the internet makes it easy to find this info.
adrian
 15 Aug 2012, 20:54 #155214 Reply To Post
I can’t add to the advice that you have already been given here, except, be your-self and be enthusiastic about your work. I wish you all the best and I hope it’s an enjoyable and rewarding experience. I look forward to hearing all about it. Adrian.
This post was last edited by adrian, 15 Aug 2012, 21:00
pipio
 15 Aug 2012, 22:30 #155227 Reply To Post
It's important to research the agent as suggested. Hopefully she/he is into your genre and it's worth checking the agent's clients and their books. You do not do this to see if there is something similar to your work, but to find out how different it is from those she has already signed (within your genre).
You should have clear idea of your genre's market, your direct competitors in that market, where you'll sit in it and how.
Try to pause for a breath during sections of the pitch. This gives the agent the chance to break in (don't do all the work for them) and comment.
Good luck.
p
... an honest insult is so much better than an insincere flattery...
flossy
 16 Aug 2012, 01:46 #155234 Reply To Post
Quote: adrian, Wednesday, 15 Aug 2012 20:54
I can’t add to the advice that you have already been given here, except, be your-self and be enthusiastic about your work. I wish you all the best and I hope it’s an enjoyable and rewarding experience. I look forward to hearing all about it. Adrian.

Thanks Adrian. I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone is interested I'll write down the questions/topics discussed and post it here for others who may also be seeking agent representation.
Page 1 2 Last : 3 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 02:30