The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Rocking Chair Books-Any info? << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > Book Marketing Tips - From Members By Members Help Search Recent Posts
Rocking Chair Books-Any info?
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
John Dylan
 04 Oct 2012, 13:37 #158777 Reply To Post
This forum had always been an excellent source of information on publishers and agents and a great protection against scams. I wonder if anyone here have heared of Rocking Chair Books, a London based Literary agent who emailed me a few days ago and shown interest in one of my novels.

They seem to be quite new. Their web site is under construction and didn't offer any information other than the same phone number mentioned in their email.

Was anyone else here approached by them? Any information about them? Any useful bits of advice?
Thank you all in advance.
Honestyanyway
 04 Oct 2012, 18:45 #158779 Reply To Post
Hi John.

I found these details for you.

Samar Hammam, former director of established London literary agency Toby Eady Associates Ltd, has launched a new literary agency called Rocking Chair Books, handling literary fiction, commercial fiction and general nonfiction. The agency welcomes unsolicited submissions by email.

Material Handled:Fiction; Nonfiction;

Areas: Adventure; Arts; Crime; Culture; Current Affairs; Entertainment; Historical; Horror; Lifestyle; Literature; Mystery; Nature; Romance; Thrillers; Translations; Travel; Women's Interests;

Markets: Adult;

Treatments: Commercial; Contemporary; Cynical; Dark;

Experimental; In-depth; Light; Literary; Mainstream; Popular;
Positive; Progressive; Satirical; Serious; Traditional

Commissions: Domestic: 15% Overseas: 20% Translation: 20% Dramatic: 20%

Fees: This agency receives no money from authors whatsoever.

Submissions policy: This agency welcomes unsolicited MSS. Both queries and submissions by email are accepted.

Founded: 2011

Looks like she has had experience in a good London agency. My only problem was that on her page on Firstwriter.com it had, 1 negative and, 1 neutral feedback report about the agency. I think you have to subscribe to the site to look. There is a ‘client list’ link too. Of course, these reports may have just been from people not hearing anything back.

I hope this helps, and it turns out positive for you, John.

Best wishes.
Donna
John Dylan
 05 Oct 2012, 11:11 #158791 Reply To Post
Thank you very much for your efforts, Donna. That was very informative.

Unfortunately, the info about rocking chair is very scarce. However, Samar Hammam was mentioned in a few blogs, and she seems to be doing good work. I will see how things will go and keep everyone here posted. I would still appreciate feedback from anyone who had firsthand experience with them.
Honestyanyway
 05 Oct 2012, 14:14 #158794 Reply To Post
Quote: John Dylan, Friday, 5 Oct 2012 11:11

Unfortunately, the info about rocking chair is very scarce. However, Samar Hammam was mentioned in a few blogs, and she seems to be doing good work. I will see how things will go and keep everyone here posted. I would still appreciate feedback from anyone who had firsthand experience with them.

You're very welcome. Good luck with it.
John S
 23 Aug 2016, 17:46 #198591 Reply To Post
Quote: Honestyanyway, Friday, 5 Oct 2012 14:14
Quote: John Dylan, Friday, 5 Oct 2012 11:11

You're very welcome. Good luck with it.

Dear John

Do you have any more information on Rocking Chair books please - is it legit?

Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 13 December 2017, 17:06