The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

RIP David Eddings << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - Genre Faves - YWO Members Recommend Help Search Recent Posts
RIP David Eddings
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Book News
 04 Jun 2009, 12:25 #60328 Reply To Post
Fantasy master David Eddings dies aged 77Colleagues pay tribute to self-effacing pioneer of the doorstopping fantasy-novel series

Alison Flood
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 4 June 2009 11.45 BST

The man who started the craze for doorstopper-sized fantasy series, David Eddings, has died aged 77.

Prolific and bestselling, Eddings was the author of more than 25 books, many of them written with his wife Leigh Eddings, who passed away in 2007. Best known for his Belgariad and Mallorean series, which follow the adventures of the orphaned farm boy Garion as he fulfils an ancient prophecy, Eddings turned to fantasy after he spotted a copy of The Lord of the Rings in a bookshop, and saw that it was in its 73rd printing.

He'd already written a thriller about deer hunting, High Hunt, and had begun drawing a map of an imaginary world while writing another contemporary novel that hadn't been working out. After his epiphany with Tolkien, when he realised the fantasy field was under-served but potentially extremely lucrative, he began to use the map to plot the world of Garion, Belgarath the Sorcerer and his daughter Polgara, and their fellow cast of thousands.

Despite his success, Eddings was known for his humble nature. "His huge worldwide success and fame did not change Dave at all," said his long-term publisher at HarperCollins, Jane Johnson, herself a fantasy author. "He was unfailingly self-effacing on the subject of his success, once saying: 'I'm never going to be in danger of getting a

Nobel prize for literature, I'm a storyteller, not a prophet. I'm just interested in a good story'."

View Complete News

writer4readers
 20 Sep 2010, 03:11 #99469 Reply To Post
Damn, I just read this.

David Eddings was a man who brought pleasure to many all around the world. RIP.

On a personal note: his fantasy novels were probably the most readable and enjoyable I read as a child. His Belgariad and Mallorean series cemented my love of fantasy at an early age and certainly contributed to me writing in the genre.

He will be sadly missed.
madeinwood
 19 Feb 2011, 19:17 #111366 Reply To Post
Oh no! I'd missed this too.

The Belgariad and the Mallorean are two of the best epics written since Lord of the Rings. David Eddings had the amazing ability to make the impossible seem probable. His characters were funny and likeable and capable of mistakes and of greatness.

He'll be sadly missed.
Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. Anton Chekhov
PERRY
 20 Aug 2011, 19:28 #127616 Reply To Post
There's a catch in my throat and ash in my eye. This man was a genius. His later works may have suffered a little in comparison but the were always entertaining, engaging, and therapeutic.

If not for him - no Harry Potter. Those who know will know.

RIP to a man who probably saved more lives with his pen than others with CPR Here's to ya, fellah. .
Askander
 05 Mar 2012, 10:17 #144860 Reply To Post
I feel bad for just finding this out. I loved reading the The Belgariad and the Mallorean hen I was in y early teens. Think it might be time to dust off my old copy of the Pawn of Prophecy.

R.I.P David Eddings
“One can be instructed in society, one is inspired only in solitude.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Straylight
 08 Aug 2012, 00:46 #154503 Reply To Post
Anyone read "The Losers?" An interesting real-world novel by him/them...

In the spirit of "To the living one owes respect, to the dead one owes only truth" did anyone detect a slightly, um, right-wing attitude in some of his/their work?
Blog: https://paladinofidleness.wordpress.com/
"Space Expectations" now out on Kindle
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 13:02