The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Pride and Prejudice << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - The Hopes, Dreams & Broken Schemes Forum Help Search Recent Posts
Pride and Prejudice
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last : 9 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
sarsen
 28 Jan 2013, 16:55 #162403 Reply To Post
As it is 200 years since it appeared, I thought it time I read the great book (to help my career as a novel writer).

I did a bit of research and found this review on Hammerzone:

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a bunch of people going to each other's houses, 30 July 2010
By
xxxx (Newport, Gwent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
This is the most overestimated work of fiction since the Koran. I studied it in school, I studied it at university, and no one, but no one, has ever been able to tell me what is so great about this tedious and unimaginative piffle. No one on Amazon Reviews can either. All the bad reviews get, as comments, name-calling from snobs! Do they point out where we're going wrong? Do they buggery! That is because they are only pretending to like it to appear clever.

The plot, such as it is:- Mr D'Arcy is a ponce. Elizabeth Bennett doesn't like him. Then, after a small eternity going to each other's houses, she likes - nay, loves- him all of a sudden because he is occasionally quite nice to a few people. That makes him slightly less of a ponce than he was at the start of the book, but that still leaves him being 97% a ponce rather than the 100% ponce he started out as. No one should go falling in love with a man who is 97% ponce, just because he used to be 100% a ponce and improved slightly. I could carve a better man out of a banana.

Garbage,and she can't write for toffee.

Should I bother?
This post was last edited by sarsen, 28 Jan 2013, 16:56
blog: http://1513fusion.wordpress.com/
lostamy
 28 Jan 2013, 17:38 #162406 Reply To Post
Yesterday I've watched a movie about the making of Psycho, Hitchcock's masterpiece. I found it impossible to believe that people were actually screaming and covering their faces during the shower scene. I understand that it was a movie which redefined the thrillers genre and all that. However, it is very hard for me to feel the way people felt when they saw it 52 years ago.

It is also impossible to 'feel' the full cultural impact of Pride and Prejudice when it was first published or the effect it had on literature ever since. I would never enjoy it the way people did 50 or 100 years ago. However, there is a lot that could be learned from it if the reader is interested in the development of literature. It would give a glimpse of the early evolution of character dynamics and the tricks writers used in the past to criticize or satirize the customs and traditions prevalent in their societies. The review you read is normal and expected but misleading. I've read worse about Shakespeare's plays and there will be people in the future who would think Animal Farm is a boring and childish story about a bunch of talking pigs. Pride and Prejudice included almost nothing that would appeal to the average modern reader in the same manner that Psycho might not seem very scary to a modern moviegoer. Nevertheless, both works of art are sure worth studying.
fhebbert
 28 Jan 2013, 18:20 #162408 Reply To Post
Quote: sarsen, Monday, 28 Jan 2013 16:55
As it is 200 years since it appeared, I thought it time I read the great book (to help my career as a novel writer).

I did a bit of research and found this review on Hammerzone:

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a bunch of people going to each other's houses, 30 July 2010
By
xxxx (Newport, Gwent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Should I bother?

The answer is yes, yes, yes. A marvellously entertaining book, full of humour, with surely the most intelligent, determined and captivating heroine in English literature.

I'm not sure why you ask the question. At Amazon.co.uk the book gets an average of 4.6 out of five (382 reviews). Do yourself a favour.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pride-Prejudice-Wordsworth-Classics-Austen/dp/1853260002

Where on earth did you drag up that cretinous, self-deluding review? I wouldn't click on "see all my reviews" if I were you. This guy moves his lips when he reads.

fhebbert
 28 Jan 2013, 18:37 #162409 Reply To Post
Quote: lostamy, Monday, 28 Jan 2013 17:38

The review you read is normal and expected but misleading. I've read worse about Shakespeare's plays and there will be people in the future who would think Animal Farm is a boring and childish story about a bunch of talking pigs. Pride and Prejudice included almost nothing that would appeal to the average modern reader in the same manner that Psycho might not seem very scary to a modern moviegoer. Nevertheless, both works of art are sure worth studying.

A couple of errors of fact here posing as opinion.

"The review is normal." Rubbish. See my previous post re 4.6 rating. Of 382 reviewers, 346 gave it 4 or more stars.

"Pride and Prejudice included almost nothing that would appeal to the average modern reader" Where do you get this stuff? See my previous post re 4.6 rating. I'd be interested to know if you thought the the much-loved BBC six-part version was rewritten for modern audiences? Scrub that. I wouldn't be interested.

"Nevertheless, both works of art are sure worth studying." Wrong again. P & P is worth READING. See my previous post re 4.6 rating.

I'm sorry if this sounds irritable, but you seem eminently unqualified to discourage anyone from reading one of the world's most popular novels.
This post was last edited by fhebbert, 28 Jan 2013, 18:44
lostamy
 28 Jan 2013, 19:06 #162410 Reply To Post
Quote: fhebbert, Monday, 28 Jan 2013 18:37

I'm sorry if this sounds irritable, but you seem eminently unqualified to discourage anyone from reading one of the world's most popular novels.

Oh, but I did not discourage him at all, and a work worth studying is sure worth reading. I only tried to explain to the poster that the review he read is, as I said, misleading; even if it was adopted by some who would rather read a 'buffy the vampire' story than a true work of art. The same sort of readers who might one day think low of an Orwellian masterpiece, or maybe never bother to read it, let alone comment favorably on it on Amazon. I also made it clear that I've read and heard similar negative comments on equally great works of literature, but a good work of art is a good work of art even if a time comes when it couldn't be fully appreciated by some, or by most or by whatever number of people.

If my opinion wasn't expressed clearly, I do apologize. Thank you for alerting me to this.
This post was last edited by lostamy, 28 Jan 2013, 19:15
fhebbert
 28 Jan 2013, 19:41 #162411 Reply To Post
Quote: lostamy, Monday, 28 Jan 2013 19:06

Oh, but I did not discourage him at all, and a work worth studying is sure worth reading. I only tried to explain to the poster that the review he read is, as I said, misleading; even if it was adopted by some who would rather read a 'buffy the vampire' story than a true work of art. The same sort of readers who might one day think low of an Orwellian masterpiece, or maybe never bother to read it, let alone comment favorably on it on Amazon. I also made it clear that I've read and heard similar negative comments on equally great works of literature, but a good work of art is a good work of art even if a time comes when it couldn't be fully appreciated by some, or by most or by whatever number of people.

If my opinion wasn't expressed clearly, I do apologize. Thank you for alerting me to this.

A woman's touch. I take off my hat to you.

dancingsue
 28 Jan 2013, 20:04 #162412 Reply To Post
I only tried to explain to the poster that the review he read is, as I said, misleading; even if it was adopted by some who would rather read a 'buffy the vampire' story than a true work of art.

Oi - don't knock Buffy.
the long and the short of it

sarsen
 28 Jan 2013, 21:43 #162422 Reply To Post
A brisk exchange - thank you everyone. I've now read the first chapter and found it masterful - and with a gentle touch.
I smiled all the way.
That was read on hammerzone's free 'look inside'. Next time in town I'll buy the book from a shop that pays UK taxes.
blog: http://1513fusion.wordpress.com/
Andrew A
 28 Jan 2013, 21:53 #162424 Reply To Post

Don’t apologise, it was clear for everyone to understand, well almost everyone. These theatrical types are sooooo sensitive. Although, I’m with dancingsue on Buffy. The next thing we know, people will be knocking Killer Vampire Lesbian Cheerleaders 13.

This post was last edited by Andrew A, 28 Jan 2013, 21:53
slipperywhenwet
 29 Jan 2013, 01:31 #162430 Reply To Post
I think Pride and Prejudice would make a good alternative title for the thankyou forum.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last : 9 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 10:17