The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Poor reviewing. << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - The Hopes, Dreams & Broken Schemes Forum Help Search Recent Posts
Poor reviewing.
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
TerryReader
 24 Dec 2016, 08:46 #201204 Reply To Post
I've always felt under qualified to review work. But as time's gone on I think I've improved, (I think. I at least make some effort to read the work I'm assigned and try to remain as objective as I can when giving the review. I had a review yesterday from someone, that by the look of it hadn't even bothered to read the story. He said, 'Good writing, but redundant scenes.' And then went on to more or less say he couldn't be bothered to read on! Wtf? does that mean. And that was more or less it! Of course to make it look like he was making an effort he then flagged up some sentences he deemed were not well put together. Ha! When I looked up his work he was into a genre that I have absolutely no interest in and so therefore assumed he probably felt the same about mine. If I don't (really don't) like what I'm reading, I'll send it back. Am I being over sensitive. Do I really care? Does anyone really care?
carters
 24 Dec 2016, 16:41 #201205 Reply To Post
Hi Terry
I think reviewers have many different styles, motives, and agendas. I also think writers hope for different things from reviews, which means writers will be disappointed by some reviews, and reviewers will be disappointed by writer’s reactions. However, every now and again you will receive a review of the type you are hoping for, and IMO that makes it all worthwhile. (Some people ensure this by reviewing themselves, but that is another discussion.)
In answer to your question, yes, there are a lot of people who care – I am sure you are one of them. Good luck with the writing and here’s hoping you get a quality review for Christmas. Stuart.
TerryReader
 24 Dec 2016, 19:08 #201206 Reply To Post
Thanks for your comment Funny enough Carters I did get a 'thought out' review today. The reason I wrote about negative one earlier was because of my own poor reviewing in the past and how it can mean a lot to someone to, not necessarily get a 'good' review, but one that's been considered. It's just as well we can't reply to our reviewers. Ha, I imagine that could go on forever.
carters
 24 Dec 2016, 23:24 #201207 Reply To Post
I am sure we all have skeletons in our reviewing past that we would not include on a CV. Give what you would hope to receive is not a bad policy IMO.
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 13 December 2017, 17:08