The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Please help save our bookshop! << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
Please help save our bookshop!
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
HJW
 14 Aug 2007, 13:14 #20308 Reply To Post

http://www.petitiononline.com/Bookshop/petition.html

I live in Haringey which, despite the existence of pockets of affluence, is one of the poorer areas in London.

Haringey's main shopping mall is called Wood Green Shopping City. It's the kind of place which sucks the soul out of you.

There used to be a few decent shops, but these have closed one by one. Yes, there are a few big name high street chains, but even these have a patina of despair.

However, one shop opened a few years ago and immediately injected hope and enjoyment into the area.

A lovely large branch of Ottakar's complete with a decent coffee shop. The staff were helpful and enthusiastic - real book lovers. There was an excellent children's section, a very important asset in a Borough where literacy is a problem.

You'll probably know that Waterstone's recently took over Ottakar's.

Now, with only nine days notice, they have closed our precious bookshop. It will become yet another cheap clothing shop.

This is a blow for the area and local people are gutted. There isn't another decent bookstore for miles.

Please, please sign the petition if you can. We need to get Waterstone's to rethink.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Bookshop/petition.html

We need our bookshop.
Are you hooked?

Oh blogger

Assignment Robot
 14 Aug 2007, 13:57 #20317 Reply To Post
We've signed online and added details to the news spot. For anyone who's ever experienced the peace and quiet of a bookshop in a busy area it's a worthy cause.

We wish you luck
Tabby
 14 Aug 2007, 14:50 #20325 Reply To Post
I've put my name down. Hope you are successful in your fight.
benkelly
 14 Aug 2007, 15:11 #20327 Reply To Post
I've added my name too, 650+ signatures isn't bad going.
"Suck it up, say thank you and move on."

Bagpuss123
 14 Aug 2007, 18:11 #20332 Reply To Post
You have my signature too. Good luck!
HJW
 14 Aug 2007, 19:28 #20347 Reply To Post
Thanks you guys, it's much appreciated and big thanks to Ted for putting it in the news section.
Are you hooked?

Oh blogger

Assignment Robot
 14 Aug 2007, 19:40 #20350 Reply To Post
We can put this higher up the board in the YWO news section if you'd like. No-one posts in there mostly apart from us.

Aside: Is that because it says 'YWO News' do you think, help dog? Get the focus group onto that.

But seriously though these places are a haven amidst the homogenous landscapes we see in every city centre. Different thing but we have a couple of old family owned firms around here and it makes such a difference just to see something that isn't mirrored in every other high street you go to.
allie
 14 Aug 2007, 19:52 #20354 Reply To Post
Quote: HJW, Tuesday, 14 Aug 2007 19:28
Thanks you guys, it's much appreciated and big thanks to Ted for putting it in the news section.

I have signed too although I live a long way from London. Every signature counts I suppose. I hope it has some effect. Good luck, Allie
HJW
 14 Aug 2007, 19:57 #20355 Reply To Post
Quote: Assignment Robot, Tuesday, 14 Aug 2007 19:40
We can put this higher up the board in the YWO news section if you'd like. No-one posts in there mostly apart from us.

That'd be great.

Are you hooked?

Oh blogger

visinker
 14 Aug 2007, 19:59 #20356 Reply To Post
Quote:
Haringey's main shopping mall is called Wood Green Shopping City. It's the kind of place which sucks the soul out of you.

I remember the Wood Green shopping centre from when I used to live in Finsbury Park.

I've signed the petition because it sounds like Waterstones, or whoever owns them these days, is getting too far away from the ideals that they presumably started with, ie books matter.
Barbara Scott-Emmett

The Bumble's End by Jimmy Bain - Comedy Crime Ebook

The Stiletto Heel and other stories - erotica ebook

MadCow

Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 12:56