The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP!!!! << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP!!!!
Page < 1 Last : 2 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Talking Horse
 20 Jun 2014, 17:30 #180765 Reply To Post
Sounds good Spartan and keep those agents on their toes and come the two months ring, email and call them and say you're demanding answers and dont let them away with fake answers.

(Lots say these agents are notorious in stalling and delaying; they wont when I'm dealing with them it will be 'business or no business...' and I wont be fluted around by them.)
gyjcg
 20 Jun 2014, 17:37 #180766 Reply To Post
Quote: Scarlet H, Friday, 20 Jun 2014 12:25

(PS I have an agent and the relationship is def. a two way thing as all good business relationships should be).

As a matter of interest, how long does your agent take to read your work?

Scarlet H
 20 Jun 2014, 18:58 #180772 Reply To Post
I totally forgot to to say congrats to Spartan!
fhebbert
 20 Jun 2014, 20:28 #180775 Reply To Post
There's an error in your URL. The correct one is here:

Exclusives-stink

Quote: Scarlet H, Friday, 20 Jun 2014 18:56
Quote: gyjcg, Friday, 20 Jun 2014 17:37
Quote: Scarlet H, Friday, 20 Jun 2014 12:25

(PS I have an agent and the relationship is def. a two way thing as all good business relationships should be).

As a matter of interest, how long does your agent take to read your work?

It really depends on the circumstances. When she was interested in signing me up, very quickly, less than a week! But generally usually within a month I think- don't think it's ever been more than 6 weeks. And if she knows it'll be a while she lets me know.

Re: exclusives, here's an agent's take on why they're not good for anyone:

http://http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/exclusives-stink.html

SPARTAN242
 20 Jun 2014, 21:09 #180779 Reply To Post
interesting read...

Thank you very much for the congratulations... still terribly early days... but I really appreciate it. I was losing hope on this website for a while with all the back-biting that has been going on but this thread has regained my hope.

so:

I told them I had already sent queries out to other agents but as they were the first to reply then I would give them limited exclusivity and would contact them if I was approached by another agent...

I think that was the best I could do. there is a fine line between NEEDING to sell a book and being walked over... and me? about as business like as a fruit bat...
prothschild
 21 Jun 2014, 04:36 #180796 Reply To Post
Just saw this thread and I want to add my congratulations. It sounds like you handled things beautifully. Best wishes! - Peggy
SPARTAN242
 22 Jun 2014, 15:05 #180838 Reply To Post
Quote: DrGuessWho, Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 12:03
Sounds like you did the right thing. I would add the following:

1. You have nothing to lose but a few weeks.

2. If another agent comes in asking to read the full MS, you can say, "sorry, can you hold, another agent is currently reading the MS so I will just check with them to see whether they mind me sending the MS to other parties". You then contact the first agent, which puts the pressure on them, and when they finally release the MS, you get back to the first agents and say, phew, sorry, those other guys were just messing me around" (unless of course they sign you up). All true, and raises the temperature of the "bidding".

3. You definitely don't want the first agent to think you are a pushover. IF they do like your MS, you will need to negotiate with them terms and conditions.

4. As a result of 3, I would have asked them for more details on what their terms and conditions would be, BEFORE agreeing to giving them exclusive access to the MS. Just ball park ideas, but shows you are thinking commercially, not just "Ill take whatever you give me".

5. Send out, loud and clear, the message that you won't just take what they dish out, but that you will negotiate.

6. Get a facebook and twitter account. Send these with the MS. Make noise to sure you get good followings.

The idea that flowers get published is misty eyed fantasy.

thanks for the advice, all of it worth considering. I agree that this must be a two-way deal and not to believe that the agent is all-powerful and therefore hand away any negotiation. An agent will have to prove themselves after spending a year proving myself with the writing!!
carters
 22 Jun 2014, 20:02 #180847 Reply To Post
Well done Spartan. Every time another YWO writer has success, an ember of hope glows in me.
Really hope you hit he heights.
SPARTAN242
 22 Jun 2014, 20:40 #180850 Reply To Post
Quote: carters, Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 20:02
Well done Spartan. Every time another YWO writer has success, an ember of hope glows in me.
Really hope you hit he heights.

thanks very much Carters... just hope something comes of it!!!
Page < 1 Last : 2 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 13 December 2017, 17:09