The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP!!!! << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP!!!!
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
SPARTAN242
 19 Jun 2014, 16:58 #180715 Reply To Post
I know this may be a bit cheeky of me but I really need some advice.

My YA novel: Flintstaff and Cramp.

I sent my 1st 3 chapters out to pretty much every agent in London.

I have received a few rejections as expected and have just received an email from A Literary Agents asking for the whole MS.
They have requested that they read it exclusively... Now, I assume this is normal. But what should I do? Agree and deny any other requests while I await their decision (which may take 2 months)? I then run the risk of losing any other interest and then it may be rejected by them anyway...

Anyone with some good advice???????
karen milner
 19 Jun 2014, 17:26 #180717 Reply To Post
First off – CONGRATULAIONS, that is a massive achievement.

If it were me, I would agree to exclusivity, but politely ask how long they will take to read your MS (and come back to you with a decision) as you have already sent the novel out to other agents and are awaiting their responses.

In the meantime, if you should be fortunate enough to get another full request, then you can hurry up the first agent by telling them you have more interest, while delaying your reply to the newly interested party until you have a decision - a win, win!

Good luck and keep us informed.
SPARTAN242
 19 Jun 2014, 17:35 #180721 Reply To Post
thanks Karen!
I was thinking on those lines too..

Very excited about it though!
Falco
 19 Jun 2014, 18:08 #180724 Reply To Post
Woohoo! The universal conquest of Flintstaff and Cramp begins!

Sounds like a plan, yes.
"My name is Hammersmith, and I will be your guide on this trip to Earth. Oh and this is Bailey; he's just a fundamental pain in the arse..."

Check me out on www.fylerwrites.co.uk
spotty leopard
 19 Jun 2014, 18:55 #180729 Reply To Post
Congratulations - if you're sure you could sign a trad contract when offered one.

I'd offer an exclusive for a limited period, say thirty days. That's plenty of time, if they are serious. Don't be too grateful, don't be too eager. The agent is interested because she thinks she can make money out of your book.
Lexi

Click here for my blog
Flittermouse
 19 Jun 2014, 19:58 #180732 Reply To Post
Fantastic news, Duncan.

I completely agree with Lexi. I read an article last year where the agent said that she does like exclusivity, but fully appreciated that she can't drag that out. She was more than happy to be offered it with a six week deadline, as long as the author makes that intention clear. I think this simply means that they will move it up the pile to make the deadline.

Maybe say that it is already in the hands of others, but that they will have exclusivity for a period of six weeks. I think that is fair and is in no way ill-mannered.

Good luck and keep us posted.

gyjcg
 19 Jun 2014, 20:06 #180733 Reply To Post
A request to be exclusive is quite standard. If you get another request for the manuscript, then you would have clout to speed up the first agent. Otherwise, you may have to wait. Agents can take 3+ months to read something. If you pester, you risk rejection. I'd certainly give them two months before making a polite enquiry.
spotty leopard
 19 Jun 2014, 20:16 #180734 Reply To Post
Quote: gyjcg, Thursday, 19 Jun 2014 20:06
A request to be exclusive is quite standard. If you get another request for the manuscript, then you would have clout to speed up the first agent. Otherwise, you may have to wait. Agents can take 3+ months to read something. If you pester, you risk rejection. I'd certainly give them two months before making a polite enquiry.

Ratty, grovelling never got anyone anywhere. It's not reasonable to grant exclusivity for several months. If the agent is interested, she will find the time necessary to read the book.

Authors are not importunate children, pestering the all-wise agent/parent. Before submitting (a telling verb) to agents, writers have spent years honing their craft and getting a book to a publishable state. If the agent can't find a few hours to read it once she has requested it, she is treating the author with disrespect.

Without writers, there would be no publishing industry. Authors, get up off your knees.
This post was last edited by spotty leopard, 19 Jun 2014, 20:18
Lexi

Click here for my blog
SPARTAN242
 20 Jun 2014, 10:37 #180755 Reply To Post
thanks for the help, everyone.

I have told them they can have exclusivity but not forever, I said I will inform them of any other interest when it comes.

I tried a halfway mix of groveling and business-like acumen... so probably came across as a total berk!

Fingers crossed.

have a great weekend everyone. x
Scarlet H
 20 Jun 2014, 12:25 #180759 Reply To Post
Quote: spotty leopard, Thursday, 19 Jun 2014 20:16
Quote: gyjcg, Thursday, 19 Jun 2014 20:06

Ratty, grovelling never got anyone anywhere. It's not reasonable to grant exclusivity for several months. If the agent is interested, she will find the time necessary to read the book.

Authors are not importunate children, pestering the all-wise agent/parent. Before submitting (a telling verb) to agents, writers have spent years honing their craft and getting a book to a publishable state. If the agent can't find a few hours to read it once she has requested it, she is treating the author with disrespect.

Without writers, there would be no publishing industry. Authors, get up off your knees.

I agree. If an agent gets impatient if you follow up every six weeks or so, then you probably wouldn't want to work with them. I think asking for an exclusive gererally is a bit poor and I wouldn't give them more than a couple of weeks.

(PS I have an agent and the relationship is def. a two way thing as all good business relationships should be).
Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 15:56