The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Nightly ratings frequency << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Top Ten Help Search Recent Posts
Nightly ratings frequency
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
kdwilley
 27 Jul 2016, 23:17 #198260 Reply To Post
Hi, Does anyone know how often the nightly ratings take place and on what day of the week.

I have heard that you need to have a credit attached to your piece on the day they do the nightly ratings in order for it to keep its place.

I have also heard that you have to attach a reading credit at least once a month.

Are one of both of these facts right and is there some importance attached to the day of the month on which you do this.

Anyone got any clarification?

Thanks
Keith.
gyjcg
 28 Jul 2016, 09:18 #198272 Reply To Post
Quote: kdwilley, Wednesday, 27 Jul 2016 23:17
Hi, Does anyone know how often the nightly ratings take place and on what day of the week.

I have heard that you need to have a credit attached to your piece on the day they do the nightly ratings in order for it to keep its place.

I have also heard that you have to attach a reading credit at least once a month.

Are one of both of these facts right and is there some importance attached to the day of the month on which you do this.

Anyone got any clarification?

Thanks
Keith.

A book's overall score and its rating in the charts are updated every night.

In order to stay in the top 30 positions, you need to have attached a credit within the past month. To stay in the top 10, you need to have attached a credit within the past week. You do not need a credit attached on a given night, providing you have done so within the time periods mentioned.

Julian Green
kdwilley
 29 Jul 2016, 10:14 #198290 Reply To Post
Thanks Nigel,

I knew you'd be the one to know - font of all knowledge.

Congrats on being in the top ten again. You do seem to make a habit of it.

Ever managed to get anything published?

Cheers
Keith.
gyjcg
 29 Jul 2016, 12:19 #198291 Reply To Post
Quote: kdwilley, Friday, 29 Jul 2016 10:14
Thanks Nigel,

I knew you'd be the one to know - font of all knowledge.

Congrats on being in the top ten again. You do seem to make a habit of it.

Ever managed to get anything published?

Cheers
Keith.

Cheers. Yes, I've done well with the Top Ten. Getting published is another matter, I'm afraid.

It's Julian, BTW.
kdwilley
 02 Aug 2016, 17:53 #198325 Reply To Post
Hi Julian,

Haven't a clue why I called you Nigel!! Sorry about that.

Anyway, perhaps I can pick your experienced brain again.

After the month-end Top Ten reshuffle (which I didn't know about till now), I have another couple of questions.

It says to remain in the top ten you have to have ASSIGNED a reading credit within the last 7 days. What if you have a few reading credits attached to your story but they have already been there for over a week?

Now for the reshuffle. First, about the top 6 (including yours) were shifted to this best sellers list and then a whole load of new arrivals appeared, knocking me down a space. Now that I don't understand! - why weren't they there already if their ratings are that good. They all seemed to have had the requisite number of reviews and all bar one had reading credits attached. Weird?

And now those that were shifted won't be in the top ten during competition months, unless they reload their story and start the process again.

Having not seen this before, I am somewhat baffled.

Cheers
Keith
gyjcg
 02 Aug 2016, 23:25 #198326 Reply To Post
Quote: kdwilley, Tuesday, 2 Aug 2016 17:53

It says to remain in the top ten you have to have ASSIGNED a reading credit within the last 7 days. What if you have a few reading credits attached to your story but they have already been there for over a week?

You need to add one each week even if you've already got one there. I've been told you can remove a credit and put it back on during the same day, and that resets the clock, but I've never risked that. I just add one every seven days. As it happens I only received one review in the past month, so was able to remove five credits from my latest book now it has gone into the best sellers chart.

Now for the reshuffle. First, about the top 6 (including yours) were shifted to this best sellers list and then a whole load of new arrivals appeared, knocking me down a space. Now that I don't understand! - why weren't they there already if their ratings are that good. They all seemed to have had the requisite number of reviews and all bar one had reading credits attached. Weird?

Firstly, the top five are automatically shifted every month. The sixth must have been in the Top Ten for at least 28 days in the previous three months, which is the other way to get in.

Secondly, a book can't enter the Top Ten in the last seven (?) days of the month. They've probably been queuing up outside. It might also be that the author waited until the beginning of the month to add a credit and activate the book again.

And now those that were shifted won't be in the top ten during competition months, unless they reload their story and start the process again.

Indeed so. It is an old website and it has its flaws. My advice is if you want to get a professional review (and they're not entirely what they're cracked up to be), you need to make sure the book doesn't accidentally get into the best sellers chart in the wrong month. Of course, if your aim is to get into the best sellers chart, it is probably easier to get in during a non-competition month.

My book was in the Top Ten on 1st of July, so is eligible to receive a professional review. It finished sixth, so didn't automatically get into the best sellers chart then. I've had to wait another month for that. On the 1st August it would have got in there for having been in the charts for so long. As it happens it also shifted up a place, so got in because it was in the top five.

Hope these answer your questions.

Julian
EBCB
 03 Aug 2016, 08:07 #198338 Reply To Post
Hi Julian, it works fine shuffling credits around, ie deleting and then adding back. Did it all the time, but now Devils River has been shunted to the bestsellers list, have removed all credits. Think we've milked what we can out of people's (mostly) helpful comments and they've added a lot to what it is now. Best, Cheryl
kdwilley
 03 Aug 2016, 23:03 #198346 Reply To Post
It seems there is no easy answer and one will have to work with vagaries of the system.

Some of this could probably do with a rethink but I appreciate that it is run by volunteers so I will be grateful for what is on offer.

I have found a lot of the reviews to be very useful and have made a number of positive changes to my work as a result.

I also use a professional writer/tutor on an ad-hoc basis (i.e. when I have something to be critiqued and when she has some time to give me) This works very well as I don't write very quickly (too keen on getting it right - edit, edit, edit etc) and we now understand each other as she was my OU tutor when I did Advanced Creative Writing a couple of years ago.

I think I might let my top ten entry drop out and just keep it in the top 30 until the time is right.

At the end of the day, reviews are subjective, wherever they come from.

Happy writing to you both.
Keith.
davidllewellyn
 07 Aug 2016, 23:03 #198378 Reply To Post
I hate to point this out but there hasn't been a pro critique since May. Disappointing as this used to be an excellent site offering a glimpse of hope to many aspiring and often talented writers.
gyjcg
 08 Aug 2016, 16:58 #198393 Reply To Post
Quote: davidllewellyn, Sunday, 7 Aug 2016 23:03
I hate to point this out but there hasn't been a pro critique since May. Disappointing as this used to be an excellent site offering a glimpse of hope to many aspiring and often talented writers.

That's fine, isn't it? They come only twice a year now.
Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 15:49