The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Literary Agent critique of Clouds Gather by James Stevenson << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > The Professional Critiques Forum Help Search Recent Posts
Literary Agent critique of Clouds Gather by James Stevenson
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
YouWriteOn
 21 Mar 2006, 21:12 #4053 Reply To Post
Please click below to view the chapters Clouds Gather by James Stevenson:

http://www.youwriteon.com/books/bookdetail.aspx?bookguid=406c35e6-639b-45be-9dc9-e4d981058c15

To view the Literary Agent critique of Clouds Gather open the attachment at the end of this post. To view the critique you need Adobe Reader, this is free, click on the following website link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

This post was last edited by YouWriteOn, 22 Mar 2006, 12:19

Attachments
LiteraryAgentCritiqueofCLOUDSGATHERbyJamesStevenson.pdf (82Kb) - 277 view(s)
BriS
 21 Mar 2006, 23:06 #4065 Reply To Post
Hi James, she notes you're def a notch up from what she normally receives - well done!
 22 Mar 2006, 09:35 #4068 Reply To Post
Many thanks to "Literary Agent" for spotting areas needing improvement. It's interesting that Phil Whitaker picked up on some of the same points, which I have already corrected in a major rewrite of these opening chapters.

Paragraphing and indenting are inevitably awkward to do in the YouWriteOn format, and italics can't be used to identify thoughts. I find it easier to see how the finished page will look on straightforward Microsoft Word format, and that, I think, influences how one splits up paragraphs etc.

Both critiques of Clouds Gather have been tremendously helpful, especially on subjects such as background atmosphere (or lack of it) and developing the plot at a controlled rate to maximise tension and "page-turnability". These points, and others, will have a major influence on the novel as I develop it. Thanks again for both critiques.

James

YouWriteOn
 22 Mar 2006, 10:01 #4069 Reply To Post
Hi James, glad you found the feedback useful, and, as the professionals comments, making the Top Three amongst such a variety of chapters is a real achievement.

The formatting issue for online chapter viewing is a purely technical one, it happens as it does so that chapters can be viewed across a variety of browsers. We agree it will be very useful for members to present there chapters as they wish to. There is an 'edit function' on My Page where chapters can be edited up to when they have 3 reviews if they are not assigned. We will be also be looking at implementing an 'edit anytime' function in the future, and a download pdf option which keeps chapter formatting locked in for those that like to read offline.

Well done again!

Ted
andtuck
 22 Mar 2006, 13:23 #4097 Reply To Post
Well done James - your talent has shown through. Seb Fawkes watch your back - good luck with the rest of the book.
YouWriteOn
 22 Mar 2006, 13:51 #4102 Reply To Post
And well done to you andtuck, your story is being consistently enjoyed. We're considering what else to do with all the many excellent short stories as they're a reminder of what a great medium it can be.
andtuck
 22 Mar 2006, 20:36 #4132 Reply To Post
Quote: YouWriteOn, Wednesday, 22 Mar 2006 13:51
And well done to you andtuck, your story is being consistently enjoyed. We're considering what else to do with all the many excellent short stories as they're a reminder of what a great medium it can be.

Thank you. I've just finished a book of short stories that I bought in a hurry on holiday. There were only two that were any good - the rest were awful - the only reason they were published I think, was because they were written by famous authors. HJW's Blue Dress was far above the standard shown in the collection.
Perhaps you should create a Youwriteon.com e book of shorts, and use any proceeds to boost the site....
YouWriteOn
 22 Mar 2006, 20:46 #4133 Reply To Post
We're looking at that as we've been so impressed by the short stories. It's easy to forget what a great medium it can be and I've really enjoyed them. We'll keep you posted though, it wasn't in the original plans but definitely something worth looking at now. Sometimes doing a short story gets people into writing as well as more accessible than attempting a novel straight off the bat for many. As usual, it all takes some time and planning for fairness, involvement and detail. We'll keep you posted.
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 10:13