The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Jeremy Corbyn << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - The Not About Books Tavern Help Search Recent Posts
Jeremy Corbyn
Page < 1 2 3 Last : 4 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
ReadOnly
 12 Jun 2017, 20:35 #227180 Reply To Post
Thought I'd posted this once!

'Campaign " by Carol Ann Duffy.

In which her body was a question-mark

querying her lies; her mouth a ballot-box that bit the hand that fed. Her eyes? They swivelled for a jackpot win. Her heart was a stolen purse;

her rhetoric an empty vicarage, the windows smashed.

Then her feet grew sharp stilettos, awkward.

Then she had balls, believe it.

When she woke,

her nose was bloody, difficult.

The furious young

ran towards her through the fields of wheat.
“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

http://amonsterinthemirror.blogspot.co.uk/
pipio
 13 Jun 2017, 20:09 #227208 Reply To Post
Hmm, perhaps I should take up soothsaying. So Corbyn blew it because he was too honest and retained his integrity throughout, while May lied before, during and after the election and was so desperate to retain power showed the integrity of a gutter rat by dealing with the DUP.

If we ignore their links to terrorist militias (which Corbyn will not highlight, despite accusations of his 'collusion' with the IRA), and a round of policies that may resemble an episode of the Handmaid's Tale, it's impossible to overlook the effect on the neutrality all governments must observe in relation to the the Irish Peace Agreement.
True, some much-needed tax pounds may seep in for our NI neighbours but who knows if it will kick off.

Meanwhile in Scotland Ruth Davidson's splendid campaigning, which totally saved the Tory Party by reclaiming 13 seats, is rather undermined by her leader plotting with people who probably want her burned at the stake. Still, at least Corbyn's Labour Party detractors have shut the fuck up.

And Nick I'd look at the first comma too, as your clause is diminishing the effect of Nietzsche's quote.
... an honest insult is so much better than an insincere flattery...
pipio
 13 Jun 2017, 20:18 #227209 Reply To Post
Hmm, perhaps I should taken up soothsaying. So Corbyn blew it because he was too honest and retained his integrity throughout, while May lied before, during and after the election and was so desperate to retain power showed the integrity of a gutter rat by dealing with the DUP.

If we ignore their links to terrorist militias (which Corbyn will not highlight, despite accusations of his own 'collusion' with the IRA), and a round of policies that may resemble an episode of the Handmaid's Tale, it's impossible to overlook the effect on the neutrality all governments must observe in relation to the the Irish Peace Agreement.
True, some much-needed tax pounds may seep in for our NI neighbours but who knows if it will kick off.

Meanwhile in Scotland Ruth Davidson's splendid campaigning, which totally saved the Tory Party by reclaiming 13 seats, is rather undermined by her leader plotting with people who probably want her burned at the stake. Still, at least Corbyn's Labour Party detractors have shut the fuck up.

And Nick I'd look at the first comma too, as your clause is diminishing the effect of Nietzsche's quote.
notleyab
 14 Jun 2017, 11:48 #227222 Reply To Post
If we're talking foul pple, the DUP & the Tories look to be a match made in heaven.
For all JC's obvious faults, he comes across as approachable & basically honest -2 traits tt don't fit the vicar's daughter.
I've cringed at many Tories in the past..
But I don't think they've ever b4 reached the vileness of MayTron's current bunch of toxic gnomes who thought nothing of lying thr way into power with far wilder promises than JC.
They also seem to be gopd at stabbing their colleagues in the back - perhaps they cd take it up literally & do the country a big favour...
As for Camoron poking his oar in now -best he effs off to the caribbean to join his overseas investments.
For all the criticism of JC not getting pple to vote against Brexit,it was Camoron who was resp for the ref & scored an emphatic own goal with his whining abt not liking Brussels.
All tosaave thr effing party from splitting asunder.
Zuckerberg Shmuckerberg, Starbucks Sucks
ReadOnly
 16 Jun 2017, 18:38 #227261 Reply To Post
I don't think you "get" it. Everything has changed.

Non voters are voting. They have (at last) somebody to vote for. Shit about the IRA fades against the now apparent cold hearted lack of care about the country's citizens. Who thinks they would get over 40% of the vote now! Don't make me laugh.

"The furious youth" and in fact most everybody else are champing a the bit now to vote the grasping lying toe rags out. Be it soon, or in a month, or in 5 long years - the tectonic plates have shifted and this generation of Tories are history.

Thank god.
“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

ReadOnly
 17 Jun 2017, 17:32 #227274 Reply To Post
That's exactly what you don't "get". yours is the generally accepted, consensus narrative. Everybody agrees.

The only people who don't, don't matter cos they don't vote.

Only now, they do.

notleyab
 18 Jun 2017, 09:24 #227276 Reply To Post
Quote: DrGuessWho, Saturday, 17 Jun 2017 15:53

.... and out of the ashes of what was once the UK, a moderate, common sense, down the middle party will come into being.

Macron looks like a Fremch Blair with his own cherie...
The Tories are totally to blame for starting the fire that's turned to ashes.
If they had told thr fascist wing to eff off & join UKIP back in the 90s they might still have some credibility.
But,no, they wanted to hang on to power, come what May.
Well... they got her.
It is hardly surprising that there's now a major backlash over the likes of inequal distribution of wealth, Brexit etc & that it mainfests in demos against their totally inept handling of the Grenfell disaster.
Why shd the rest hv to suffer for preserving the Tories' 'unity' & vanity?
Zuckerberg Shmuckerberg, Starbucks Sucks
ReadOnly
 18 Jun 2017, 13:12 #227285 Reply To Post
Not sure I was ever very on message about Tony Blair!

Also not sure that anything in latest Labour manifesto is anything but pretty middle of the road for a social democrat. Nationalised energy and rail, free uni fees and some support, end of pay freeze for public servants etc - once upon a time opposing any of these things would have mad you unelectable.

pipio
 18 Jun 2017, 14:49 #227286 Reply To Post
Recently I've had to honour commitments in the West Country, taking coaches to and from London/Weston and across the blue waist of our nation. These sleepy towns I've passed through, these rural communities with few black faces and east European accents, I believe could never really contemplate voting Labour. Even during the Blair years most of them stuck to true blue 'profit before people' ideals or NIMBYist arguments, while the voter age bracket rose like a grumpy old man's blood pressure.

Ignoring Bristol and newly red Stroud, places like Weston, Gloucester, Bath, Wooton Basset, Swindon, Newbury, Oxford, etc, are the Tory heartlands where money talks and common sense and the common good, walks. The youth of these towns are mostly Young Tories (except Swindon, of course) and they actually read newspapers, most of which tell them how to vote and, it seems, they concurred.

Corbyn, who the press insisted was the most unpopular Labour leader since Michael Foot, proved far more popular with those who were allowed to hear him speak, or who caught one-time airings of his speeches grudgingly broadcast by overtly-biased media outlets.

Proving his actual strong and stable leadership, he triumphed by taking 40% of the vote with a matter of weeks to prepare and no private jet to take him to constituencies.

Back in London, it feels like the French Revolution. With grieving and angry citizens storming a town hall and marching to the seat of government while Marie, sorry, May, prevails and continues with her 'Let them eat cake' attitudes. Profit before people rules, OK? No council officials north of the borough while Moet and Châteauneuf-Du-Pape flows in the south. Corbyn just gave everyone a hug. Must be political capitalising. Well that's what it says here...
pipio
 29 Jun 2017, 10:57 #227465 Reply To Post
Thankfully, I've legged it up the country to escape my capital city's 35-degree heat wave to another mainland capital north of the border, mainly to look after a friend's intelligent canine, (actually he looks after me) with my intelligent girlfriend. Up here intelligence abounds. They've been leading the world in education for centuries, establishing seats of learning while the rest of the world was stabbing each other (Macbeth notwithstanding), and seem to know the difference between its and it's, a gay person from a paedophile and even the kettle from the pot. Many chats with local dogwalkers have revealed remarkably incisive arguments and viewpoints.

Douglas from Morningside maintains that though the Tories have 64 more seats they can't even pass wind without Labour and other parties' say so. Jo of Trinity agreed. She reckoned the queen's speech reflected the dropping of vile policies like the scrapping of school dinners, grammar schools, foxhunting, etc.

Kim from Portobello says they are just following the Labour manifesto to avoid the people revolting. This is actually better than Labour winning the election she said, because the country can see what a mess May will make and how Corbyn performs with party support at last. Come the next election the choice will be clearer.

North Berwick folks, most of whom are quite rich, seem to be mixed about the SNP while the dog owners (although the massive Newfoundland we met certainly owned the right of way more than any human) we greeted along the Leith Walk were staunchly nationalist but had to admit Sturgeon was 'pushing it'.

Others were worried about Murdoch putting his man into No. 10 to insure he gets control of Sky and rig the next election with control of virtually all of our nation’s media. Many people worry about Murdoch up here. The Sun doesn't do as well, of course, due to the aforementioned intelligence.

The Tories have finally achieved their deal with the DUP. We wondered if we might all have to wear orange hats at some point and consider the belief that the earth is only 6,000 years old, but a bung of a billion quid plucked from their own magic money tree, which seems to dwarf Labour's little bonsai, provoked snorts of derision from Bruntsfield locals. Fuck the poor in their flammable tower blocks let's sort out our coalition partners first, they said.

Ah intelligence, I'll miss it.
This post was last edited by pipio, 29 Jun 2017, 11:23
Page < 1 2 3 Last : 4 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 18:04