The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

I'm Flummoxed by the Self Promotion Aspect of Self Publishing via YWO... << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
I'm Flummoxed by the Self Promotion Aspect of Self Publishing via YWO...
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
JessicaH
 22 Oct 2011, 12:05 #133243 Reply To Post
Could anyone advise me?

It seems so difficult to attract the favourable notice of agents that I am thinking of this, but am a complete novice, and the combination of the technical aspects and the business of promoting seems a minefield...Whinge, whinge...
I did start a blog, website etc thinking in terms of promotion, but interest was not high [blush].

Also, after self publishing do people often go on to attract agents notice by sending them a copy of the book, rather than the infamous sample chapters....

Thanks in advance. I have been away a long while, rewriting in line with Cornerstones recommendations...
Jessica

sulcus
 22 Oct 2011, 12:46 #133247 Reply To Post
Quote: JessicaH, Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 12:05
Could anyone advise me?

It seems so difficult to attract the favourable notice of agents that I am thinking of this, but am a complete novice, and the combination of the technical aspects and the business of promoting seems a minefield...Whinge, whinge...
I did start a blog, website etc thinking in terms of promotion, but interest was not high [blush].

Also, after self publishing do people often go on to attract agents notice by sending them a copy of the book, rather than the infamous sample chapters....

Thanks in advance. I have been away a long while, rewriting in line with Cornerstones recommendations...
Jessica

I think sending self-published books to agents is likely to leave you open to the following responses:

1) How many did you sell? If insignificant, what makes you think we agents can make any money from your future books
2) We certainly won't be able to sell this self-pubbed book, as it's likely to have had the sales it's going to garner
3) If you've self-published this, what's changed to make you not want to self-pub in the future?

As to the wider notion of self-promotion, agent or no agent you'll still be charged with doing all the work yourself, so you better get used to it.
Websites & blogs are just the start. There's Facebook, twitter, Google+, YouTube, Goodreads and probably others I've overlooked. The problem actually then becomes one is so busy on all of these sites, when do you ever get any new writing done?

And what does it lead to in terms of sales? I've had 20,000 views of my opening chapter on BookBuzzer. How many sales has that led to? Probably countable on the fingers of ONE hand.
"A,B&E", "Not In My Name" and "52FF" (flash fiction anthology) all available on Amazon Kindle

"How a psychopath makes sweet love. I can get you ringside. Royal box even."
JessicaH
 27 Oct 2011, 19:03 #133612 Reply To Post
Sulcus, Thanks for responding. Hmm. My ignorance is limitless, I'd never heard of Bookbuzzer. I gather they can be used to promote writing? Sounds like the users are not too fond of dipping their hands into their pockets...
Jessica
sulcus
 27 Oct 2011, 20:53 #133617 Reply To Post
Quote: JessicaH, Thursday, 27 Oct 2011 19:03
Sulcus, Thanks for responding. Hmm. My ignorance is limitless, I'd never heard of Bookbuzzer. I gather they can be used to promote writing? Sounds like the users are not too fond of dipping their hands into their pockets...
Jessica

it raises a very interesting question. When books are put on Amazon for free, they fly out. Increase the price and sales drop off unless a real buzz has built about the book. Writers will make less and less money from their books as they are forced to virtually give them away
"A,B&E", "Not In My Name" and "52FF" (flash fiction anthology) all available on Amazon Kindle

sulcus
 27 Oct 2011, 20:54 #133618 Reply To Post
Quote: JessicaH, Thursday, 27 Oct 2011 19:03
Jessica

The advantage of bookbuzzer is it has lots of veryeasy to use marketing tools built into its function. Assuming you're already on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc

Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 04:36