The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

If my theory is right... << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > NEW - Genre Faves - YWO Members Recommend Help Search Recent Posts
If my theory is right...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last : 8 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
sulcus
 01 Nov 2010, 14:05 #103497 Reply To Post
that people like reading fantasy novels as an escape from the realities of the everyday, then right now should be boon time for writers as we enter the age of stringencies with the government cutbacks.

So you fantasy writers should be beating down the doors of publishers, or getting your sh*t together to self-publish right now.

Sadly, I won't be able to join you. Instead contenting myself with writing a novel about the everyday realities, stringencies and all.
This post was last edited by sulcus, 01 Nov 2010, 14:06
"A,B&E", "Not In My Name" and "52FF" (flash fiction anthology) all available on Amazon Kindle

"How a psychopath makes sweet love. I can get you ringside. Royal box even."
AntCity
 01 Nov 2010, 14:09 #103498 Reply To Post
Quote: sulcus, Monday, 1 Nov 2010 14:05
that people like reading fantasy novels as an escape from the realities of the everyday, then right now should be boon time for writers as we enter the age of stringencies with the government cutbacks.

So you fantasy writers should be beating down the doors of publishers, or getting your sh*t together to self-publish right now.

Sadly, I won't be able to join you. Instead contenting myself with writing a novel about the everyday realities, stringencies and all.

Do you have any examples of fantasy novels written at times of previous angst?

sulcus
 01 Nov 2010, 14:29 #103499 Reply To Post
Quote: AntCity, Monday, 1 Nov 2010 14:09
Quote: sulcus, Monday, 1 Nov 2010 14:05

Do you have any examples of fantasy novels written at times of previous angst?

Twilight series appeals to the constant angst that is teenage growing pains...
"A,B&E", "Not In My Name" and "52FF" (flash fiction anthology) all available on Amazon Kindle

mkrobinson12
 01 Nov 2010, 14:58 #103504 Reply To Post
Lord of the Rings might be a classic example. Written on the eve of WWII. Don't get more angst than that.

Edited. What about Orwell's 1984? Might be sci-fi, maybe not. Difficult to genre.
This post was last edited by mkrobinson12, 01 Nov 2010, 14:59
sulcus
 01 Nov 2010, 16:17 #103516 Reply To Post
Quote: mkrobinson12, Monday, 1 Nov 2010 14:58
Lord of the Rings might be a classic example. Written on the eve of WWII. Don't get more angst than that.

Edited. What about Orwell's 1984? Might be sci-fi, maybe not. Difficult to genre.

It's not genre. It's fiction. Not even literary fiction, but just fiction. Like all novels used to be...

annswinfen
 01 Nov 2010, 16:17 #103517 Reply To Post

Um, Rob, The Hobbit came out before WWII, and Tolkien was working on The Lord of the Rings for a very long time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't published until the 1950s. It's generally believed that the battle scenes and Mordor are based on his own horrific experiences in WWI.
Ann
mkrobinson12
 01 Nov 2010, 16:56 #103522 Reply To Post
Quote: annswinfen, Monday, 1 Nov 2010 16:17

Um, Rob, The Hobbit came out before WWII, and Tolkien was working on The Lord of the Rings for a very long time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't published until the 1950s. It's generally believed that the battle scenes and Mordor are based on his own horrific experiences in WWI.
Ann

I stand corrected. The Hobbit (1937) and LOTR (from Wiki - written from 1937 - 1949, fully published 1955). Gosh, seems a long time. 1984 is easy: written in 1948.

Edited: I should have said around WWII. Then again maybe the theory isn't so sound because JK Rowling started writing her stuff in the 90's and that's made more dosh than just about everyone else put together.
This post was last edited by mkrobinson12, 01 Nov 2010, 17:42
Elsieraven
 01 Nov 2010, 18:40 #103542 Reply To Post
When things get tough for me, I go looking for Narnia or join Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg for an adventure on Disc World. So for me at least, your theory is sound.
=======================================

Just because I believe I'm right, doesn't mean I am.

=======================================
sulcus
 01 Nov 2010, 20:03 #103554 Reply To Post
Quote: Elsieraven, Monday, 1 Nov 2010 18:40
When things get tough for me, I go looking for Narnia or join Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg for an adventure on Disc World. So for me at least, your theory is sound.

Okay, from my sample poll of 1 that's 100%!

AntCity
 02 Nov 2010, 10:10 #103591 Reply To Post
Quote: annswinfen, Monday, 1 Nov 2010 16:17

Ann

But Isengard and Mordor are supposed to represent the European axis powers.

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last : 8 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 07:52