The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Help! A breakthrough- or a hoax? << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
Help! A breakthrough- or a hoax?
Page < 1 Last : 2 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
stuartstantondavies
 22 Jan 2013, 21:03 #162216 Reply To Post
You write well enough to attract the attention of an agent. Good style and pace. Your work has that brevity and slickness of published author. So I would suggest that the offer is genuine, or at least deserved.

Good luck.
lordaidan
 23 Jan 2013, 08:56 #162230 Reply To Post
Quote: LottieADaw, Monday, 21 Jan 2013 19:40
Hi all
I seem to have been approached by an associate of United Agents LLP. They found Outrider through this site and would like to see more.
Obviously this could be a really exciting opportunity! However I am very new in the business and haven't heard of them before. I am researching them as much as I can, but I wondered if any of you lovely people know of them or their reputation?

A simple rule: if they ask for money, beware.
If they don't, no need to worry.

An agent will only ask for his fee, which he earns after landing you a deal with a publisher and is usually deducted from the advance you receive from that publisher.

You know you are on the right track when you start receiving money, not spending it under whatever pretexts. (e.g. "reading fees" and other types of bullshit)
The only exception is the money you might spend on editing your work, in case you wanted to submit it to a professional editor. In some cases, it is a good idea.

United Agents seem to be OK. If they don't ask for money at this stage then go for it. Outrider deserves all the attention it gets.
This post was last edited by lordaidan, 23 Jan 2013, 09:07
Lovewriting
 23 Jan 2013, 21:19 #162278 Reply To Post
I've heard of that agency - I believe they are a genuine agency. Keep us all posted on how it goes - spare no details!

Good luck!
LottieADaw
 26 Jan 2013, 12:31 #162333 Reply To Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am cautiously moving forward, having done a fair bit of research on them. Fair point, and duly noted fhebbert and Julian. I'm going over it with a fine-toothed comb, as are a couple of trusted others.

Thank you stuartsantondavies for the compliment - and thanks to all the other kind commentors too. I hope the associate likes the next extract. We've agreed I can send it in sections as it is still very early on in the editing.
I'm aiming to send the next four or so chapters by the end of next week.
Happy Writing!
Roger P
 14 Feb 2013, 09:26 #162949 Reply To Post
United Artists are one of the biggest agencies, who get so inundated with submissions they have a full time reader before anything is seen by an editor. Well done, you should go for it, and good luck.
perrybond
 04 Mar 2013, 15:33 #163848 Reply To Post
Bump
-
papa stas
 07 Mar 2013, 08:51 #163970 Reply To Post
Quote: Roger P, Thursday, 14 Feb 2013 09:26
United Artists are one of the biggest agencies, who get so inundated with submissions they have a full time reader before anything is seen by an editor.

Quote: LottieADaw, Monday, 21 Jan 2013 19:40
Hi all
I seem to have been approached by an associate of United Agents LLP.

There's a BIG BIG difference between the two!

papa
stas (just sayin')

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!
fhebbert
 07 Mar 2013, 11:39 #163973 Reply To Post
Yep, United Artists (started by Pickford, Chaplin, Fairbanks and Griffths in 1918) was crippled in 1980(?) by Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate, and effectively lost its standing and identity. Interesting book on this by Steven Bach, called Final Cut.

United Artists was a production company without studio real estate which bankrolled films like Pink Panther and James Bond, Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, and so many great movies you'd need an abacus to count them. They were acquired by Insurance Giant Transamerica, who saw it as a cash cow and tried to run it on accounting rather than artistic principles.

A sad story.
orchidrambler
 03 Apr 2014, 13:35 #178579 Reply To Post
Aren't writers funny. When we get a great offer, we're suspicious.
Write something every day, is the only way to becoming a better writer.
Falco
 04 Apr 2014, 13:17 #178605 Reply To Post
Hey hey - congratulations, probably!

Great message to see on my first day properly back on the board in a couple of weeks.
"My name is Hammersmith, and I will be your guide on this trip to Earth. Oh and this is Bailey; he's just a fundamental pain in the arse..."

Check me out on www.fylerwrites.co.uk
Page < 1 Last : 2 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 07:51