The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Help! A breakthrough- or a hoax? << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > YouWriteOn and Literary Agent News Help Search Recent Posts
Help! A breakthrough- or a hoax?
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
LottieADaw
 21 Jan 2013, 19:40 #162087 Reply To Post
Hi all

I seem to have been approached by an associate of United Agents LLP. They found Outrider through this site and would like to see more.

Obviously this could be a really exciting opportunity! However I am very new in the business and haven't heard of them before. I am researching them as much as I can, but I wondered if any of you lovely people know of them or their reputation?
Happy Writing!
Pat Hilyer
 21 Jan 2013, 19:54 #162088 Reply To Post
Charlotte

I don't know United Agents but if they're offering to represent you AND THEY DON'T WANT ANY MONEY FROM YOU, then I'd say: congratulations - go for it!
elsieeff
 21 Jan 2013, 20:41 #162089 Reply To Post
They're listed in 'Writer's Market' with a very impressive list of clients. Congratulations!
Quote: LottieADaw, Monday, 21 Jan 2013 19:40
Hi all

I seem to have been approached by an associate of United Agents LLP. They found Outrider through this site and would like to see more.

Obviously this could be a really exciting opportunity! However I am very new in the business and haven't heard of them before. I am researching them as much as I can, but I wondered if any of you lovely people know of them or their reputation?

fhebbert
 21 Jan 2013, 20:42 #162090 Reply To Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Agents

These are United Artists LLP, based in Lexington Street, London, and apparently represent Tom Stoppard and Johanna Trollip - and, if true, you can't do better than that.

You have a great story (at least your initial extract was).
gyjcg
 21 Jan 2013, 20:56 #162092 Reply To Post
They are listed as a member of the Association of Authors' Agents, which means they're legitimate and hold to the standards set by the organisation (the main trade body for agents).

I hope for your sake they like the rest of the novel. Don't rush to submit to them. Make sure it's as good as it can be. They can still turn you down even at this stage.

That said, do check that the person is actually from this agency. I'm just wondering how they came to find you on this website. An agent might browse the top ten or the bestseller list. Would they normally search down as low as 24th position? No offense, and good luck to you, but it does seem a little odd.

Julian
This post was last edited by gyjcg, 21 Jan 2013, 21:08
fhebbert
 22 Jan 2013, 07:47 #162098 Reply To Post
As Julian says, make sure its as good as it can be. For heaven's sake HAVE A LITERATE FRIEND PROOF-READ THE REST OF IT. I think you have typo blindspots that could spoil a first impression.

This isn't meant to dampen your moment of triumph, it's an exhortation to put your best foot forward. Remember that I said in your first review: "This can be a very good piece if you apply yourself to fixing the (numerous typo) problems. Do that and you’ll have good luck with it."

I read it again later and you had fixed it. Voila!
bunnykin
 22 Jan 2013, 11:22 #162114 Reply To Post
Joanna Trollope is represented by Joy Harris Agency
Majordave
 22 Jan 2013, 12:12 #162123 Reply To Post
Let's hope it's all you hope it is, Charlotte. I love the success stories. And if so, it's proof you don't have to be in the Top Ten to be good. Well done.
--------------------------------------------
‘You need to get to your bed, Mr Bushel,’ said the doctor tying a knot in the bandage. ‘You have had a good hiding; I suspect concussion.’

‘Oh no, it washn’t him, Doc,’ quipped Smoothy.
fhebbert
 22 Jan 2013, 15:24 #162181 Reply To Post
Quote: bunnykin, Tuesday, 22 Jan 2013 11:22
Joanna Trollope is represented by Joy Harris Agency

That's interesting- United Agents claim her...(?) I've read The men and The Girl's, The Rector's Wife and A Village Affair, still can't spell her name. Great books, very literary with downbeat endings

...wait one cotton picking minute. From http://www.joannatrollope.com/contact/:

...you can write to me at:
Joanna Trollope, c/o James Gill, United Agents, 12-26 Lexington Street, London W1F 0LE

This post was last edited by fhebbert, 22 Jan 2013, 15:51
Straylight
 22 Jan 2013, 19:46 #162214 Reply To Post
Look legit according to the Predators & Editors website:

http://pred-ed.com/pealu.htm

Excellent and well done!!!
Blog: https://paladinofidleness.wordpress.com/
"Space Expectations" now out on Kindle
Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 14 December 2017, 04:35