The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Cable ties: more than meets the eye << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > The YouWriteOn Forum > The Thank-You Forum - Post Here Help Search Recent Posts
Cable ties: more than meets the eye
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
kuailai99
 11 Oct 2018, 09:13 #239146 Reply To Post
Cable ties: more than meets the eye

You’ll find cable ties in the toolbox of every electrical contractor, and probably also in almost every house in South Africa. They are used in cars, in aeroplanes, and even in space shuttles. The common cable tie, normally made of nylon, has a flexible tape section with teeth that engage with a pawl in the head to form a ratchet so that as the free end of the tape section is pulled the cable tie tightens and does not come undone (although some ties include a tab that can be depressed to release the ratchet so that the tie can be loosened or removed, and possibly reused).
Cable ties More than meets the eyeCable ties were first invented by Thomas & Betts, an electrical company, in 1958 under the brand name Ty-Rap. Initially they were designed for airplane wire harnesses. The design has, over the years, been extended and developed into numerous spin-off products. One example was a self-locking loop developed as an alternative to purse-string suture in colon anastomosis.
The idea of the cable tie came to inventor, Maurus C. Logan, while touring a Boeing aircraft manufacturing facility in 1956. Aircraft wiring was a cumbersome and detailed undertaking, involving thousands of feet of wire organised on sheets of 50-foot long plywood and held in place with knotted, wax coated, braided nylon cord. Each knot had to be pulled tight by wrapping the cord around one's finger which sometimes cut the operator's fingers until they developed thick calluses or "hamburger hands." Logan was convinced there had to be an easier, more forgiving, way to accomplish this critical task. For the next couple of years, he experimented with various tools and materials. On June 24, 1958, a patent for the Ty-Rap cable tie was submitted.click here for more info
MelvinSchmidt
 15 Oct 2018, 19:23 #239167 Reply To Post
It's so interesting for me to know it and even more details. So what can you tell me about his life? I know this man, he is not an average for sure...
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 24 October 2018, 06:43