The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Best and Worst books to film... << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Book Club Help Search Recent Posts
Best and Worst books to film...
Page < 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
visinker
 25 Jul 2006, 15:11 #12493 Reply To Post
Quote: NeedRead, Tuesday, 25 Jul 2006 14:40
I loved Catch-22 but the film didn't go anywhere near the fantastic story of the book

That's interesting - I liked the film but actually threw the book out of the window, I found it so irritating. (I was young at the time.)

This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly; it should be thrown with great force.
Dorothy Parker
Barbara Scott-Emmett

The Bumble's End by Jimmy Bain - Comedy Crime Ebook

The Stiletto Heel and other stories - erotica ebook

MadCow

Cathf
 25 Jul 2006, 15:16 #12495 Reply To Post
Quote:
That's interesting - I liked the film but actually threw the book out of the window, I found it so irritating. (I was young at the time.)

I'm glad you said that. I've tried three times and keep giving up, even though I really want to read it. It's one of those thing you start feeling really bad about after a while...
BriS
 25 Jul 2006, 15:57 #12502 Reply To Post
How can you not like Catch 22? I am shocked!

You never hear much about the other 21 books in the series though. Perhaps they weren't as good.
Cathf
 25 Jul 2006, 16:02 #12504 Reply To Post
Quote:
How can you not like Catch 22? I am shocked!

I know. That's why I feel so guilty and useless about not being able to read it. I actually do like it, and the character for the first couple of chapters, then always get sick of the voice/narration at a certain point. I'm sure if I could get over that point I'd get back into it, which is why I keep trying. One day I'll chain myself to a radiator and force myself to read it (although knowing me, I'll realise I've left it just out of reach as the handcuffs lock )
C. Bird
 25 Jul 2006, 16:14 #12507 Reply To Post
Sounds like the start of a new topic: Books I couldn't finish. My recent ones were Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and Shadow of the Wind. Though I know perfectly normal people who have enjoyed both
visinker
 25 Jul 2006, 16:27 #12508 Reply To Post
Quote: C. Bird, Tuesday, 25 Jul 2006 16:14
Sounds like the start of a new topic: Books I couldn't finish. My recent ones were Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and Shadow of the Wind. Though I know perfectly normal people who have enjoyed both

Coastliners by Joanne Harris - just didn't seem to be about anything much.
Barbara Scott-Emmett

MadCow

eMad
 25 Jul 2006, 16:33 #12510 Reply To Post
I've never managed to get far with 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin', 'Life of Pi', 'Saturday' or 'Harry Potter & the Half-blood Prince'. But I agree with BriS, how could you not finish 'Catch 22'!:omg:
Please sponsor me for my Writing Marathon in aid of the Alzheimer's Society at www.justgiving.com/esthermadden
Cathf
 25 Jul 2006, 16:47 #12512 Reply To Post
Quote:
But I agree with BriS, how could you not finish 'Catch 22'!

Gah! Make me feel worse about it why don't you I really don't know, as I do always enjoy it to start off with, then get really irritated by it for some reason - too irritated to keep reading. I am sure that stage wouldn't last though, so do want to get through it. OK, this weekend I'll try again then.
visinker
 25 Jul 2006, 16:50 #12513 Reply To Post
Quote: eMad, Tuesday, 25 Jul 2006 16:33
I agree with BriS, how could you not finish 'Catch 22'!:omg:

I've just totted up and it was around 27 years ago that I tried (and failed) to read Catch 22. Hmm... maybe I should give it another go.

Then again, maybe not. The book would never be able to get that spine-tingling echoey wind-blowing hair-standing-on-end moment that the film does when somebody (who?) gets their guts shot out.

Barbara Scott-Emmett

MadCow

thirdplanet
 25 Jul 2006, 16:56 #12516 Reply To Post
Classic Books I never finished:

Everything by James Joyce including the one starting with U.

War and Peace

Pride and Prejudice

The Man with The Golden Gun

Page < 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 14:22