The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Best and Worst books to film... << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Book Club Help Search Recent Posts
Best and Worst books to film...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Pipkin3
 12 May 2006, 23:23 #8657 Reply To Post
What are favourite/ least favourite films based on books?
eMad
 13 May 2006, 08:36 #8660 Reply To Post
I had to apologise to my friends after taking them to see Sophie's Choice - it was that bad. Mind you, the novel rambled on a bit too.

I love the LOTR films and feel they're an improvement on the books in a lot of ways, making the writing (which was a bit dated) come alive with awsome visual images. They have missed a few bits though and sometimes I prefer my interpretation of things to the film's.
Please sponsor me for my Writing Marathon in aid of the Alzheimer's Society at www.justgiving.com/esthermadden
pumple
 13 May 2006, 14:20 #8694 Reply To Post
The Shining. I liked the book a lot better as you imagined things more as well.
Boleto
 21 May 2006, 18:10 #9355 Reply To Post
Quote: eMad, Saturday, 13 May 2006 08:36
I had to apologise to my friends after taking them to see Sophie's Choice - it was that bad. Mind you, the novel rambled on a bit too.

I love the LOTR films and feel they're an improvement on the books in a lot of ways, making the writing (which was a bit dated) come alive with awsome visual images. They have missed a few bits though and sometimes I prefer my interpretation of things to the film's.

Troy.

Now there's film that must have had Homer spinning in his grave. Bart didn't think much of it either. How is it possible to take a tale that has survived x million years, stick pretty close to the original and still transmute it into kike.

I agree about LOTR but I found I didn't really miss the bits that were left out. Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire, for example, are closed plot loops whereas Faramir is integral. I quite like having alternative visualisations available - min and Jackson's - so I can compare them.

The interesting one is going to be His Dark Materials. I suspect that it will be very bad because the studios think the American audience can't cope with intellectual arguments.
murrayhurray
 22 May 2006, 08:57 #9387 Reply To Post
Shawshank Redemption - without a doubt
garytones
 22 May 2006, 13:22 #9400 Reply To Post
The Shawshank Redemption was a good film and I also found that the film adaptation of the Green Mile was well done aswell. Those were one of the few films based on Stephen King books that turned out well. After reading and enjoying 'The Stand' by Stephen King, I was disappointed at the screen adaptation of it, as the acting was pretty poor and it just looked like a cheap budget tv show. It just did not grip me like the book did.

Lord of the Rings is definitely my favourite screen adaptation of a book. As you can probably tell by my avatar!
eMad
 22 May 2006, 13:33 #9401 Reply To Post
I love Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me and The Green Mile was good as well. My husband gave me some Stephen King books to read after seeing Stand By Me and I was really impressed. I thought all he'd written was horror stories. Then a few year ago I decided to watch the adaptation of 'The Stand' (I hadn't read the book), and it scared me rigid. I never did watch the end.
Please sponsor me for my Writing Marathon in aid of the Alzheimer's Society at www.justgiving.com/esthermadden
garytones
 22 May 2006, 17:07 #9413 Reply To Post
Quote: eMad, Monday, 22 May 2006 13:33
I love Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me and The Green Mile was good as well. My husband gave me some Stephen King books to read after seeing Stand By Me and I was really impressed. I thought all he'd written was horror stories. Then a few year ago I decided to watch the adaptation of 'The Stand' (I hadn't read the book), and it scared me rigid. I never did watch the end.

You want to read the book, it's much more scary. Might take you a while to read though, as it's a bit of a beast with being well over a thousand plus pages long.

Stephen King has also written some good fantasy. I am a big fan of his Dark Tower books. Start off with 'The Gunslinger' and work your way through. They have a certain horror element to them in places (as you would expect from Stephen King) but are very well written. The Gunslinger is alright, but the books that follow really get you gripped with the story. If you want something a bit different to the usual Stephen King stuff, they are worth a read.
eMad
 22 May 2006, 17:32 #9414 Reply To Post
I like the sound of 'The Gunslinger' - for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure about the horror bit. Is it really scary?

I agree that Stephen King writes really well.
garytones
 23 May 2006, 11:03 #9468 Reply To Post
Quote: eMad, Monday, 22 May 2006 17:32
I like the sound of 'The Gunslinger' - for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure about the horror bit. Is it really scary?

I agree that Stephen King writes really well.

They are not that scary to be honest. The main scary bits are just the odd monster or demon here or there, but generally it reads like a fantasy, action, thriller, adventure. It has a bit of everything. Of course, it is fairly graphic and a little dark in places, but overall they are pretty good. Might be worth looking at what other people think of them on Amazon. The Gunsligner starts off with a feeling of it being a bit like a western, but then the following books cover parallel worlds and universes as Roland the main character (The Gunslinger) travels through these different worlds on his quest to find the Dark Tower.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Last : 6 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 12 December 2017, 15:53