The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

A Classic Conundrum << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Top Ten Help Search Recent Posts
A Classic Conundrum
Page 1 Start New Topic Reply To Topic
notleyab
 02 Feb 2017, 13:13 #202222 Reply To Post
Remember all those queries in the past abt how the scoring works on here.
Well here's a classic.
I hv 2 stories both sat at No 15 in the table.
Yet with nearly the same number of reviews, one has virtually twice as many 5s as the other.
And before someone says it's down to weighting, they both score highest in the same categories.
????????????????????????????'
Zuckerberg Shmuckerberg, Starbucks Sucks
gyjcg
 02 Feb 2017, 15:47 #202224 Reply To Post
The most likely possibility is that on the novel with lots of 5's you have one or two people who gave you very high scores. These would then be outliers that aren't being counted (being outside the standard deviation).
lordfoul
 02 Feb 2017, 16:28 #202227 Reply To Post
Yeahm that's it.
lordfoul
 06 Feb 2017, 06:07 #202242 Reply To Post
Starting from the facets of writing to be considered - which are poorly defined, and dubiously clumped together in sections.

Quantifying quality of writing as determined by diverse perspectives (hence no standard ruling to deviate on), introducing the programmer's notion of how some qualities scored are more important than others and inveigling a sub-formula to quantify that, finding a mean, and then dispensing with the "outliers" which - with writing - could well be the more relevant reviews. As I "emoticoned" earlier

This post was last edited by lordfoul, 06 Feb 2017, 06:11
notleyab
 06 Feb 2017, 12:47 #202243 Reply To Post
Quote: lordfoul, Monday, 6 Feb 2017 06:07
Starting from the facets of writing to be considered - which are poorly defined, and dubiously clumped together in sections.

Quantifying quality of writing as determined by diverse perspectives (hence no standard ruling to deviate on), introducing the programmer's notion of how some qualities scored are more important than others and inveigling a sub-formula to quantify that, finding a mean, and then dispensing with the "outliers" which - with writing - could well be the more relevant reviews. As I "emoticoned" earlier

Aside from the definitions of weighting/deviation, the fact is 1 story had 2x as many 5s -roughly half the total of overall scores - from less reviews.
Which leads me to the ?, when does a deviant become a norm, or vice versa ?
Makes me think of the old saying abt statistics & damned lies.

Zuckerberg Shmuckerberg, Starbucks Sucks
lordfoul
 07 Feb 2017, 07:34 #202252 Reply To Post
Quote: notleyab, Monday, 6 Feb 2017 12:47
Quote: lordfoul, Monday, 6 Feb 2017 06:07

Aside from the definitions of weighting/deviation, the fact is 1 story had 2x as many 5s -roughly half the total of overall scores - from less reviews.
Which leads me to the ?, when does a deviant become a norm, or vice versa ?
Makes me think of the old saying abt statistics & damned lies.

Exactly, notleyab.

Oh I see Doctored is still spouting drivel and making assumptions. Still, at least he's not dead - as his long absence over January had me worrying. It's always reassuring to the bricks I have left over from my Christmas project (no, not throwing them) to know that there is something dumber.

jackk44d
 13 Mar 2017, 15:47 #226330 Reply To Post
Good to know for the future. Thanks for the detailed'll stick, now everything is clear!
http://seosklep24.pl
cyklon
 27 Jun 2017, 22:03 #227427 Reply To Post
It is very easy.
Digitalizacja vhs
Page 1 Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 13 December 2017, 18:50